OT: Lidl Espresso machine £39

moonio
moonio Posts: 802
edited December 2009 in Commuting chat
Is anyone getting one of these on Thurs?
http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages ... achine.ar1

Do you think it will be any good?

Comments

• Get a stove-top one - Less messing about and a lot less to go wrong.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bialetti-Moka-E ... 746&sr=1-2

Just don't dishwash it (if you really must dishwash one, ensure you get the more expensive steel version)
    FCN: 5
  • +1, Stove tops make the best coffee IMO, and will outlast the Lidl machine by a country mile.
  • El Diego
    El Diego Posts: 440
    Stove top is definitely the way to go. Ideally with freshly whizzed up beans.
  • But for the stove-top ones you need a stove...
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    But for the stove-top ones you need a stove...

Or a fire, cooker, camp stove. Mine has been all over Europe three times and never a problem using a small backpacking stove.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Just got a Gaggia baby off Ebay for £100 new RRP £289 to replace my Gaggia Synchrony Compact. Now that's a real bargain.
  • http://www.amazon.co.uk/Single-Boiling- ... d_sim_kh_1

Then, after heating your coffee you can cook yourself a nice omlette.
  • I have a bit of a 'thing' for coffee makers old and new - my favourite - although I don't use it much - is one of these beauties

atomic-1.png
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • One word - Aeropress

It's all you need people.
  • mikeeye
    mikeeye Posts: 162
    Get a stove-top one - Less messing about and a lot less to go wrong.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bialetti-Moka-E ... 746&sr=1-2

Just don't dishwash it (if you really must dishwash one, ensure you get the more expensive steel version)
    I would advise against the stainless steel version. I have one and the coffee it produces is not as good as the coffee from the original aluminium version. The thinner steel body tends to overheat the water and the coffee therefore gets scalded.

If you're serious about your coffee though, there's always the Alex Duetto. A bargain at only £1600 - unfortunately they're out of stock at the moment :-(

Having said all that, if anyone wants a stainless steel moka pot, PM me with your offer :) It's a fantastic bit of kit that anyone would be very happy with*.

Mike

*this may be a lie.
    If you still don't know what recursion is, read this sentence.
  • mikeeye
    mikeeye Posts: 162
    I have a bit of a 'thing' for coffee makers old and new - my favourite - although I don't use it much - is one of these beauties

atomic-1.png
    Fabulous! What is it?
    If you still don't know what recursion is, read this sentence.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    mickbrown wrote:
    One word - Aeropress

It's all you need people.

Unless you want to make an expresso....
    More problems but still living....
  • MikeEye wrote:
    I have a bit of a 'thing' for coffee makers old and new - my favourite - although I don't use it much - is one of these beauties

atomic-1.png
    Fabulous! What is it?

Its an 'Atomic' designed by Giordano Robbiati in the 1940s. They have a bit of a cult following amongst retro loving types and quite a few websites devoted to them. My own one is a late 40s British (Sassoon) labelled one.

Some others - Salton 'Rocket' (Vesuviana) - this came as a stove top as well as electric
    1_c7f034401c431f4747fc64240137c457.jpg

Cona Rex - 'Britain Can Make It'!

220px-2008-4037.jpg

I'll stop - I could bore for England on stuff like this.
  • TheBrogueadier
    TheBrogueadier Posts: 89
    edited December 2009
    Aero press?

Why would you want to make coffee in something that looks like a cheap plastic penis pump?

A pump that can't even do expresso! Heresy!

That Cona Rex coffee machine is lovely, whatever happened to nice kitchen item design?
  • It does make espresso

And penis pump? Bonus
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    got a Gagia Classic, it's great, much better than the stove top I had (I should bloody well hope so :lol: )

Nothing wrong with the stove top though
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Nespresso!

I railed against it when my wife first bought it - it felt like a cop out compared with other machines.

But the coffee tastes great and because it's so little faff to use, I end up drinking more coffee. :lol: (But the marketing is a bit OTT which bugs a little.)
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • Nespresso!

I railed against it when my wife first bought it - it felt like a cop out compared with other machines.

But the coffee tastes great and because it's so little faff to use, I end up drinking more coffee. :lol: (But the marketing is a bit OTT which bugs a little.)

Got one of those too but need to get a new water tank after I dropped the original one. Damn fine coffee.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Nespresso!

Don't you think the amount of packaging for these types of machines is a little excessive?
    More problems but still living....
  • Nespresso!

+1 to all of that!
  • Mmm i have a been to cup machine made by Saceo best part of £500 always experimenting with different beans