Help with a probably easy answer (I hope!)

MattMurray
MattMurray Posts: 2
edited December 2009 in MTB general
I am hoping someone can help without me having to buy a new set of forks!

Recently I had my bike serviced and was told that my steerer tube on my forks is too short for my stem and the top bolt isn't clamping on it, so in fact it is dangerous. Now, having ridden the bike like it for 8 months and noticed some knocking I did think something was wrong.

This is where I need help though good people of the web: can I remedy this by adding something to the steerer tube or is it new set of forks time?

I have found some Reba Race 100's for £249 but if I can avoid spending this so close to Christmas, that would be good.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• I'm no expert but i think your best bet is to sell you forks on fleEbay and get the new ones. It won't be much fun when your go over a bump and your forks fall off your bike. When selling be sure to specify the steerer tube length, as the length of your tube will fit a smaller bike.
  • Did you buy the bike or forks used?
    It's a it strange for a steerer tube to be too short.
    I'd certainly look at new forks though
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    Do you have any spacer rings below the stem?
    Can you remove the top cap and see where the top of the steerer is in relation to the stem?

The top cap doesn't hold the stem in place and is very simple to remove and replace.
  • You can get cheaper Reba's. Try the classified section on this website or singletrack world usually lots of them around.

But yes change them, you can't remedy it. Unless of course as other people have said you have spacers underneath the stem, which I very much doubt if the bike shop said it was too short.
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Depending on the fork you may be able to buy a new crown/steerer. Could be pricey if you want if fitted professionally.
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    First thing to try: Are there any spacers on the steer? Under the stem, on top of the stem, wherever? If so, remove them.
    Second: What's the stack height of your headset? CRC are selling an FSA headset at the moment for under 30 notes with a super low stach height, i wager that'd earn you a good 1-2 cm.
    Third: Can you find a stem with a smaller (verticaly) stem? That would save you a bit more steer tube.
    Or a mix of the above.
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Having googled a bit, I see that you can buy threadless steerer extenders. I've never used one, nor actually met anyone using one. I don't even know if they're suitable for mountain bikes, but you can get them for about £10.

Dimension and Zoom are two brands to check out. 8)
  • konadawg
    konadawg Posts: 447
    Torres wrote:
    Third: Can you find a stem with a smaller (verticaly) stem? That would save you a bit more steer tube.

Exactly.

Stems stack height varies considerably unless you have one which is spectacularly low profile already you are sure to find one that is lower.

Some even clamp using one central bolt, too :wink:
    Giant Reign X1