Waterproof Trousers or Waterproof Shorts?

diddyfunk
diddyfunk Posts: 252
edited December 2009 in MTB general
Hi

I am looking for some waterproofness on my bottom half after getitng a soaked a*se at the weekend.

I was wondering what would be best to get, a pair of waterproof shorts or waterproof trousers?

I know the obvious - that the shorts will not be 100% water proof as they do not cover the whole of my legs (before someone says it).

Do trourser get in the way and catch on the chain ring etc?
What shorts/trousers can people recommend?
Is it worth spending a £100 on a pair of something like the endura shorts below or will they wear too quickly to warrent the money?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=17905

Many Thanks
2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert Evo
08 Scott Scale 60 - http://i797.photobucket.com/albums/yy25 ... CF2299.jpg

Comments

• A mate of mine swears by Gore Contest soft shell bib tights, worn under baggy shorts.

Unfortunatly I'm soon going to be shelling out the £90 to keep me warm and dry.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • 0scar
    0scar Posts: 219
    I have Altura Attack 3/4s, they're a good compromise. Knees are covered but the air can move around so not too sweaty in warm weather. I use lycra shorts underneath and legwarmers if it's really cold. Wet shins arn't the end of the world - I think the main thing is keepingwater and grit out of your bum and they do that 100%
    Commuter: Taped-up black Trek 2200 (FCN 5)
    Shiny bike: Pinarello FP2 (FCN 3)
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    After years of hating cycle clips and getting caught, I bought 3/4 length Singletracks and waterproofed them with Nikwax stuff - brilliant. Knees stay warm but they don't get caught up.
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    Im in the middle of a dilema as to whether I should buy the same shorts. At the mo I just wear lycra bibs and put up with having a damp arse. I bought a pair of the cheaper endura waterproof shorts for last winter and they are terrible. Keep you dry ok but it's like riding in a crisp packet and if you wear lycra bibs underneath they slide down when you'r riding no matter how tight you do up the waist cord.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    I bought some of the Aldi £9.99 waterproof outers, ok so there incredibly unbreathable but its nice being toasty and dry for the first year ever!
    Matched up with some bootys, sealskins, waterproof gloves and cycling jacket all i need now is something that covers my head and neck???? bin liner maybe?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    I wear winter tights they keep the old pins warm even if they are wet, if the temperature is really low and wet then I put on Montane Featherlite trousers.

These only weigh 105g so not an issue carrying them, highly breathable and if you wash them in Nik Wax Tech Wash and reproof them in TX Direct now and then they are very waterproof.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    After years of hating cycle clips and getting caught, I bought 3/4 length Singletracks and waterproofed them with Nikwax stuff - brilliant. Knees stay warm but they don't get caught up.

That works? I thought the clothing has to be of a waterproof material such as eVent? I didnt think you could make any ole thing waterproof by adding Nikwax? I thought Nikwax just helped replenish the waterproofness.

I got some spare Nikwax TX.Direct, would that work?
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Ideally you need the Tech Wash first.

Wash in non bio powder
    Wash with Tech Wash
    Wash with tx direct

You can make jeans waterproof (not for long though) by doing this!

I find it works on material that already has some water resistance - I wouldn't try it on a woollen jumper or silk undies.

I'm finding it lasts about two months - the only downside is that the shorts are pretty slidey after treatment!
  • Im assuming from the posts that people either go for waterproof shorts or waterproof leggings.

I guess that waterproof trousers keep getting caught on the chain ring etc and this is why people dont buy them?

I have some full legged bib tights that are pretty warm when wet and a pair of 3/4 Humvees over the top. I just wasnt liking the conkers feeling like they were being submerged in icey water all the time - lol.

Any more suggestions re the original post would be greatly appreciated.
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert Evo
    08 Scott Scale 60 - http://i797.photobucket.com/albums/yy25 ... CF2299.jpg
  • DamonC
    DamonC Posts: 263
    A mate of mine swears by Gore Contest soft shell bib tights, worn under baggy shorts.

Unfortunatly I'm soon going to be shelling out the £90 to keep me warm and dry.

These?

http://www.gorebikewear.co.uk/remote/Sa ... 722558064R

They aren't listed as waterproof, do you believe them to be?
    Suffering from the light bike fat git syndrome.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    diddyfunk wrote:
    Im assuming from the posts that people either go for waterproof shorts or waterproof leggings.

I guess that waterproof trousers keep getting caught on the chain ring etc and this is why people dont buy them?

I have some full legged bib tights that are pretty warm when wet and a pair of 3/4 Humvees over the top. I just wasnt liking the conkers feeling like they were being submerged in icey water all the time - lol.

How do they get caught never had that problem. Waterproof overtrousers are close fitting, nothing to flap about. Plenty of them about for MTB.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    robertpb wrote:
    diddyfunk wrote:
    Im assuming from the posts that people either go for waterproof shorts or waterproof leggings.

How do they get caught never had that problem. Waterproof overtrousers are close fitting, nothing to flap about. Plenty of them about for MTB.
    yeah the ones i use have velcro straps around the bottom and at calf level to stop any crank eating!

(tesco's by the way are doing their waterproof trowsers for £9.99 now too)
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • i've got some gore tex waterproof trousers that I normally wear for winter walking/climbing, however they have been replaced by a new pair so they now part of my cycling wardobe :lol:

I've got bashguards on my bikes so not really any issue with catching them, and they are prefectly shaped for moving around in on a bike. They are designed to fit over a pair of 4 season winter boots, so they are a doddle to get on and off quickly with a pair of trainers when i'm on the bike.

They were expensive, and I would never spend that amount of money on a pair of bottoms specifically for the bike (I crash, a lot!), but since they were redundant anyway everything is cool 8)

I have noticed though that i'm buying new walking/climbing stuff more regularly these days - i think i'm TRYING to make good kit redundant so that i can wear it on the bike!! :lol: