Riding on ice!

rorybl
rorybl Posts: 11
edited December 2009 in MTB general
Pretty funny how the 1st december is the first proper day we get iced up eh?

anyone got any tips for riding over ice?

i do a 13 mile commute to work every morning, 5 miles on road (mainly downhill) and 8 miles on canal towpaths but i have yet to ride in when its properly icy. i know that its only going to get even worse from now onwards.

the road section doesnt bother me as the roads will be gritted and my maxxis ignitors give me enough surface area to grip but its the canal paths that worry me, theres lots of steep brick surfaced bridges with big puddles (some up to 4/5 foot long) at the bottom. im tempted just to bomb it down there and hang on for dear life but i dont want to take a freezing bath in the filty canal water at 6.30am.

any tips?

Comments

• Lower your tyre pressure and stay loose!

Worked wonders for me on most things slippy but means you'll have to work harder on road with lower pressures!

J
    I love the sound my tyres make on dusty single track!
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    Good luck :lol::lol::lol:

Top up your first aid kit! I've found that, as above, keep it loose but if the ice wants you it will get you :lol:
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • If your tyres go quiet or the handlebars feel light your on ice Slow down to walking speed and do not use harsh braking or sharp turns Fittng Continental Traffic might be a good idea as it works perfectly on the road yet is knobbly enough for muddy/wintry conditions
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    I got chucked off my commuter bike and dumped in the middle of a busy road by a low icy kerb last year. Luckily for me there was not a car coming up behind... Take care.

if the ice is really bad and going to be around for a while, I'd consider studded tyres, but really we tend not to get enough icy days in this bit of europe to make it worth it. I just take a few days off the bike when the ice hits and wait for the flemish to salt the bike paths (some things about Belgium are great!)
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    rorybl wrote:
    anyone got any tips for riding over ice?

Stabilisers.

Favourite ride last year was a frozen commute one morning when the big hill down into town was closed to traffic. Awesome funs. Fortunately it had melted enough to ride back up that afternoon, had it not I'd have been stuffed trying to push home in shoes with no grip.

Hope it snows properly in the SW again this year.
  • rorybl
    rorybl Posts: 11
    cheers all, we'll see how i get on in the coming weeks!

last time i rode on ice was about 15 years ago when i had a jump bike and went riding in the new forest one boxing day, i spent more time on the floor than i did on the bike! black ice can be a right bugger!

im looking forward to riding in the snow though, never done it before so should be fun :D
  • haha f*** studded tyres!! i'm training for the Mega Avalache and i won't be using them there.

mainly, just be alert. don't be clipped in to spd's, cos that's just retarded in this situation. You need to be able to tripod at any moment, especially when you need to stop quickly. this is more effective than using your brakes, which should only be used to scrub a little speed.