Opinions / Advice wanted

Barkiesnake
Barkiesnake Posts: 244
edited December 2009 in Amateur race
Hi all,
I appear to be showing all the signs of overtraining (mood swings, tiredness, irritability) etc and am considering taking a week out, however i have a cyclocross race on 13th and am unsure whether to wait until after this before resting or to rest now and then not have much training time before race day?
What would you do?

:?:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, your right" Henry Ford

Comments

• Taper, moderate week this, rest week next.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    mood swings, tiredness, irritability etc
    What would you do?
    I'd get tested to confirm you're not a teenager, or a woman
  • bompington wrote:
    mood swings, tiredness, irritability etc
    What would you do?
    I'd get tested to confirm you're not a teenager, or a woman

I did that first
    Results,
    Inability to name / recognise anyone currently in the charts proved i wasn't a teenager
    Inability to multi task proved i wasn't a woman :D:D
    "If you think you can, or if you think you can't, your right" Henry Ford
  • If you've rested up a bit and are feeling better now, you could test yourself with a moderate workout on Tuesday or Wednesday, and maybe a loosener on Thursday just spinning and riding easy. Just don't push it if you feel you're not fully recovered. Any training this week will not have much effect in a race at the weekend anyway. I hope Sunday the 13th is a lucky date for you!
    I wouldn't advise you to race if you're ill, as one of those nasty virus thingys can get into your system when your reserves are low. What team do you race for?http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    I hand it to anyone who tries to be competitive this time of year..
    if racing means just a source of 'enjoyment' as opposed to a source of income, why not leave off 'training' completely and just race?
    Your fitness can't just disappear in a puff of smoke and when the days start to get longer then engage a renewed program of structured training.