Kona Scrap rebuild finally finished...... Almost

MrChrisP
MrChrisP Posts: 321
edited December 2009 in Your mountain bikes
Ok so back in June I had my bike nicked. Long story short, insurance wouldn't cover and I was left skint and with nothing to ride.

Since then I went on the lookout for a new toy at a budget price and eventually decided to build one up over time as the finances became available.

I was able to pick up a Kona Scrap bike which although the frame n forks etc were in good nick the mechanics were shot.

Then the great SuperSonic of this very forum pointed me in the direction of Merlin Cycles who had a Shimano Deore Groupset on offer. Lots of saving and scrounging later I had all the parts to get my bike back on the road.... Well almost. Here is the story:

As it was when I bought it:

Original.gif

New Shiny things:

NewToys.gif

What some of the original parts looked like before I took em off:

Cassette.gif

Not sure if you can notice but the headset was very loose and this was because the last owner hadn't taken off the bottom spacer from the original headset:

Headset.gif

Trust me to buy a bike with a BB that wasn't compatible with any of the BB tools I had!:

BB.gif

Spokes were a tad loose too:

Spokes.gif

And here it is as of tonight:

Final.gif

Crank.gif

Mechs.gif

You might notice that the front brake has not yet been fitted. This is sadly because the groupset had the front hose and two brake pads missing, but I'm hoping to get the replacement parts from Merlin this week in time for the weekend.

The parts (that I know):

Frame: Kona Scrap (06 I think)
Forks: Marzocchi Dirt Jam Pro (unsure of year)
Bars: Diamond Back (a tad random)
Stem: Ride by Kore
Headset: Unkown
Grips: Unkown
Seat: Diamondback
Seat Post: Truvativ Double XR
Front Rim: Halo Combat
Front Hub: Unkown
Rear Rim: Alexrims DM24
Hub: Shimano Viam

And

Shimano Deore Disk Groupset

Not the best kitted out bike I know but given that I managed to talk the folks into getting me the groupset as an early xmas prezzie, the whole bike has cost me less than £100 to put together (Kinda suits the frames name as well I think :lol: )

This I'm sure you can't complain at and given that I've only been riding for just over a year I reckon will do me just fine for now.

So if anyone is a regular at Glentress or Inverleithan you can expect to see me there on that baby 8)

- Note to admins. I resized the pics but if they are still too big and I'll edit it so they're just links -
Kona Stinky Six
Kona Scrap
Scott YZ4

Comments

• Sweet :)

Nothings better than getting your leg over a bike again.....
  • MrChrisP
    Cheers dude. I would love to agree with you on that one but the missus reads this forum as well.

Don't fancy having to post a pick in next couple days showing the kind of bruise you can get from someone smacking you over the head with a newly built up bike frame :lol:
    Kona Stinky Six
    Kona Scrap
    Scott YZ4
  • MrChrisP wrote:
    Cheers dude. I would love to agree with you on that one but the missus reads this forum as well.

Don't fancy having to post a pick in next couple days showing the kind of bruise you can get from someone smacking you over the head with a newly built up bike frame :lol:

lmao... i have the same problem :roll: :lol:
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    cool build, are you using it as an all round trail bike sort of thing?
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • MrChrisP
    Cheers mate.

And yeah this will be used for everything from commuting to work in the mornings to using at 7Stanes centres on the weekends, plus anywhere else I decide to take it.
    Kona Stinky Six
    Kona Scrap
    Scott YZ4
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Looking good, you can't argue for less than £100!
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    cool, seems like a nice sort of do-it all bike, and not bad at all for £100!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5