Chain slipping under pressure

undapressure
undapressure Posts: 116
edited December 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

I have just had the chain, front chainring and rear mech replaced. Now, when I put some power down, the chain slips, but when pedalling normally it is fine.

Is this beacause the cassette is worn? Its only 20-30 rides old.

Seems to be in the middle range of cogs it slips which are the ones I mainly use.

Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    is it the chain?
    where is it slipping?

could be many things including poor set up and worn parts.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I assume it is the chain, it just feels as if it slips a tooth when you put a bit of power on the drivetrain.

Can't really tell where it is actually slipping. Whole drivetrain is new except for the cassette. Could it be that the cassette is loose?
  • Rear cassette will need to be replaced too in my opinion.
  • ive just found ive got the same after replacing my chain, my rear cassette is roughly the same as yours in terms of age 20 - 30 rides roughly 10 - 15 miles each time. using a raceface evolve xc chainset and a KMC X9L Gold 9 Spd Chain - feels like the chain slips a tooth in most gears under power but fine under normal conditions. hard to tell if this is 'slipping' because its only feels like one tooth then its ok again. - surely the cassette cant be fubar after such little time?
    Falcon Sierra - 80's
    Muddy Fox Courier - 80's
    GT Palomar 90's
    GT Zaskar LE - 90's
    Cannondale k v 900 90's
    Santa Cruz Bullit - now
    Orange Evo 8 STOLEN 26/09/10
    Orange P7 Pro
    Lots of kites.
  • just replaced the cassette and it was the cause of my slippage - it was really hard to see any difference even when new and old were compared together, but has definatley solved the problem!
    Falcon Sierra - 80's
    Muddy Fox Courier - 80's
    GT Palomar 90's
    GT Zaskar LE - 90's
    Cannondale k v 900 90's
    Santa Cruz Bullit - now
    Orange Evo 8 STOLEN 26/09/10
    Orange P7 Pro
    Lots of kites.