Abuse from a car loads of F**kwits

fossyant
fossyant Posts: 2,549
edited December 2009 in Commuting chat
Minding my own business at a set of lights......

"oh Mr postman la..la.... give us your lights" comes from the car nearby (red bike, with red top, and lots of lights - technically they could be correct.....)

I shrug it off, offer a quick reply, then hear 'what the F*** did he say'..........'Give us your lights'.

Anyway, put the hammer down, and leave the crappy Pug 206 standing - takes him quarter of a mile to catch me.....

Expecting this to happen.......... 'YEARRRGH, GIVE US YOUR LIGHTS' screamed at me in my ear - I'm doing over 25 mph on the flat........

Car stops at lights, hear more abuse and filter past slowly.....3 lads in car....

Lights go green, again off I ride, quater of a mile.....'YEARRRGH, GIVE US YOUR LIGHTS' screamed at me in my ear.........

By now I'm getting a bit cross (cover your ears - I swear)..... car goes past. Right then......traffic again......I quickly catch up, think...my turn..... get right by the window, just before the guy starts again, and..... 'BOOO'.......... I go....

Some choice language exchanged. They then turned off. This 'exchange' went on for 4 minutes though...

I'll be reporting them tomorrow.....

Here, see for yourself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVbDJOxa4Ww

Comments

• Okay, so its annoying but mere high jinks surely? You didn't even have chips or a sandwich tossed at you.
  • F**kwits just about sums it up.
  • fossyant
    Doesn't bother me, might just sh1t up a less experienced cyclist though.....

To keep doing it was a bit much....
  • What gets me about thesse sorts of situations is the abject lack of creativity of the yobs of today.

The other week I was out rowing, and the best that the local scrotes could think of shouting was "row row your your boat". I mean, how lame is that? Terry and June was funnier.

Once I was past them, II shouted back, "Have you got a boat?"

"No!"

"Oh..... Do you like swimming?"

"No!"

"Oh.... well... you can F$&* off then."
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    I've had abuse like that, but never considered reporting the tw@ts... well done for filming them, and be sure to let us know what comes of reporting them.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • when i've been coaching i've been helpfully instructed to shout more...
  • What did you use to film them? I assume a video camera of some sort, anyone in particular?? Do you use it for every cycle ride? I am contemplating using one, but am currently unsure whether I would use it reguarly?!
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    They have committed an offence , the police should take the report seriously.

Fortunately I haven't got round to fixing my u-lock to my frame (and probably never will). otherwise they would have got it right through their windscreen.

W ankers like this will be hassling bikers on a regular basis, time for the driver to get a knock on his front door.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    fossyant wrote:

clearly did bother you- or you would not have posted it on here
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    What`s the offence? I doubt the police will be very interested.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    antfly wrote:
    What`s the offence? I doubt the police will be very interested.

It's anti-social behaviour and could be considered threatening.

I've commented on this before, the police now have powers to remove a vehicle from the owner if they receive complaints about the conduct of the driver and it's occupants.

I would make the police be 'interested'.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • Ohhh.... Those pesky kids!

MTFU! :roll:
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    AndyManc wrote:

W ankers like this will be hassling bikers on a regular basis, time for the driver to get a knock on his front door.

I doubt they care what he was riding - nobs like this have been known to shout at random pedestrians as well.
  • Mithras
    Mithras Posts: 428
    fossyant wrote:

Fossy if it didn't bother you then there is no offence.
    As you have posted up here and on CC then (as my learned colleague Spen said) it has bothered you.
    It's caused alarm and distress, you have been worried for your safety and that last pass, IMHO, was aimed to cut you up and scare you!

Get my drift!
    I can afford to talk softly!....................I carry a big stick!
  • fossyant
    It's the driver's responsibility to ensure the behaviour of the passengers as well. This could have got nasty, especially if they carried on.

Last time this sort of thing happened, a couple of years ago, I was on my rather nice road bike and carbon soled shoes, the lads were screaming and shouting, and tried to grab me, only just missing.....bugger all I could do with road shoes on, and forgot to take the reg, I was that shocked (9.00am on a Sunday morning)

This time, riding fixed with MTB PSD's...so I could have hopped off. Might seem funny, but this sort of thing has to stop - it started in good humour, hence the exchange, but by the second pass, the guy had got irate.

The camera was a MD80 / Muvi. Prices vary, and ebay is a good source. Just buy a fast card. I didn't pay much, so just shove it on the rucksack when commuting and switch on. Don't tend to use it in the wet. As it's silly season (for accidents), I'm using it a bit more.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,592
    I haven't yet watched the vid, but from your description, that kind of behaviour is totally uncalled for, and I would report them.

For me it would partly be the fact they are taking my attention away from the road in front and upcoming hazards that would worry me the most, plus the thought of "are they suddenly going to veer in to me" or as you said in your previous incident, try and grab you as you go past.

Twonks.

Defo report it, what it will achieve it is difficult to say, but at least it is reported, and then worst case if they do it again to you, or someone else and it is reported again, then maybe somehitng will happen.

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Just to be devils advocate

the camera audio isn't clear enough to differentiate what was said, that you responded gives them the chance to claim provocation and that a light hearted remark was met with abuse and all they wanted to do afterwards was ask why but got more of the same hene getting upset by you.

completely agree that it is unacceptable and I've no doubt that my version is garbage but in the eyes of cops that won't take any interest in actual road collisions unless theres injuries they'll be looking for a reason to tell you politely to go away.
  • fossyant
    I've reported it, mentioned if needed I do have a video. I've had a call back to say someone will phone later to discuss/come and see me.

All I really want is a polite knock on the drivers door, and a reminder that he/his passengers have been reported, if he's a 't1t' again then there will be more serious action.

My responses were after thee second 'whaaaaa', which by then it was no longer a joke. :(
  • magibob
    magibob Posts: 203
    I Love the word, "F***Wit!"

Andy
  • fossyant wrote:

yeah i think that would be quite unneverving for me even though at times im like a brick wall when im arguing with someone!
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • fossyant
    Well, the police are going to call round and advise the driver on his conduct.

Result, that's all I wanted.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,592
    fossyant wrote:

Great result, good work! :D

At least he knows he is 'on the radar' and might hopefully not join in or allow his passengers such liberties in the future.

Having said that, perhaps I am giving too generous an appraisal of the individuals thought processes.

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • teticio
    teticio Posts: 107
    nice one!

i totally agree that you can't just dismiss this kind of behaviour with a "so what? they are only dicks". you feel vulnerable as a cyclist and it can sh*t you up so much that you lose your balance. what if it was a woman walking on her own at night and a group of lads started jeering at her persistently? this would be taken seriously as it should.

good for the british bobbies to take it seriously. the knock on effect is that everybody drives a bit more sensibly (these particular dicks will no doubt tell their other dick friends about the police visit when they go down to the dick pub).
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    fossyant wrote:

Miracles sometimes happen :) Nice one!

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • bradford
    bradford Posts: 195
    Magibob wrote:
    I Love the word, "F***Wit!"

Andy

Were you the driver or riding shotgun? :mrgreen:
  • iainment
    iainment Posts: 992
    AndyManc wrote:
    They have committed an offence , the police should take the report seriously.

Fortunately I haven't got round to fixing my u-lock to my frame (and probably never will). otherwise they would have got it right through their windscreen.

and then you would have committed an offence, and on and on and on.

come on it wasn't that bad.
    Old hippies don't die, they just lie low until the laughter stops and their time comes round again.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • Nick6891
    Nick6891 Posts: 274
    what a set of tw*ts

also i have to say how long was that first red light on red for! lol
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Hmm - wonder which one was using the shared brain cell?!

I had one a few weeks ago, sprayed a jet of water at me as he passed me, I caught and passed him in traffic a few times - each time he passed me, I got squirted by his screenwasher (dawns on me that this is now deliberate). So, I MTFU and blast up Filton hill and catch him at the lights at the top.

Stop in front of his car (old Ford Fiesta) - he is in their laughing wiv 'is mates. I lean over liift the drivers side windscreen wiper, unclip it and bugger off.

Funnily enough it was just starting to rain too......

As the arm snapped back I think it might have cracked the screen. I did not hang about to exchange pleasantaries - suffice to say I think he was too shocked to move and the car was well jammed into the traffic.

Did not see him again as it is one big traffic queue from there into Bristol.

Lesson learned I think :-)