My brakes failed going down hill :shock:

moonio
moonio Posts: 802
edited December 2009 in Commuting chat
I managed to stop the bike by dragging my feet and letting the pedals repeatedly hit my calves...ouch. Luckily i want going very fast, the road was empty and i was nearly home...

Checked the bike and it seems the brake cable has uncurled it self from around the ciruclar springs i use to increase the pull on my levers..

Hmmm will see if i can fix it myself! 8)

Good news: My work has announced its cycle to work scheme hurrrah!! Will be test riding a Boardman and Marin Sausalito this weekend...2 very diff bikes i know but we shall see ;):):)

Comments

• Blimey, I bet that was exciting! Careful!

And let us know how you get on with the bikes! Yay cyclescheme!
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    moonio wrote:
    cable has uncurled it self from around the ciruclar springs i use to increase the pull on my levers..
    :?: Explain?

ps. Glad you managed to stop without any form of unplanned change in trajectory.
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    I also don't understand how both brakes can apparently fail because of a problem with one cable? Good to hear you avoided any sort of disaster tho'.
  • moonio
    My back brake is pretty useless as I have a powerful motor on the back wheel :wink: (yes I know its cheating but it helped me get back into cycling etc etc)

The front disc brake cable is fed through a circular gadget near the lever, one end goes around the outside of the circle and the other end is fed around the smaller inner circle, when you pull the brake lever there is increased travel due to the difference in circumference.

And yes YaY for the C2W scheme, although I would have just bought a bike outright anyway but saving 40% makes all the difference.

I may now be able to do some leisure rides and start training for a race! Yippeee!!
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Roastie wrote:
    moonio wrote:
    cable has uncurled it self from around the ciruclar springs i use to increase the pull on my levers..
    :?: Explain?

ps. Glad you managed to stop without any form of unplanned change in trajectory.

They're called travel agents* (I think). Basically a cam system to increase the cable pull. I'm guessing the cable slipped off the cam.

* If they're what I think they are, anyway.
  • moonio
    Yes it is a travel agent and looks like this

travel-agent-br0300.jpg
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    I'm still a bit confused. You mean the momentum of the motor prevents the back wheel from slowing down? Surely that isn't something that affects all electric bikes?

To only have one brake which has proved itself to not be 100% reliable would concern me rather a lot. Get it sorted before it goes wrong in a worse situation.
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    moonio wrote:
    Yes it is a travel agent and looks like this

travel-agent-br0300.jpg
    Ah, I see. When you re-assemble, make sure the pulley is in the correct position - I think there is a pdf guide to correct set-up on the Problem Solvers site.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    No offense but it sounds like your bike is a crock of shite, if the front brake needs a travel agent to work properly and there is no rear brake
  • moonio
    Yes the bikes brakes have caused me problems from the moment I bought it, the manufacturer offered no solutions either, just saying it was a new design etc etc, and I've spent about £200 trying resolve all the issues.

The thing is the bike is the best in its category in terms of speed, power battery time, quality of frame build etc etc so I have stuck with it rather than seeking a refund. I'll be getting a new bike soon so no worries.

legal question: If a manufacturer/distributer supplies a batch of bikes with faulty brakes are they legally required to conduct a product recall and fix the problem?
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    I would have thought so, brakes being a legal requirement on bikes.
  • moonio
    OK, I'm beginning to take this more seriously, I think I was just pleased to have had a lucky escape last night but it could have been much worse.
    I have contacted the manufacturer and am waiting his response, I'll insist he sorts the problem once and for all or I'll threaten to sue him. :)
  • Do you have a fixed rear wheel as well then? you say the pedals arms slowed you by continuing to rotate and hitting you? Fixed wheel on an electric bike seems unlikely. You say you use these springs to increase your brakes, were they fitted originally or something you fitted? this will dramatically affect wether the manufacturer is at fault or yourself. Did you buy the bike direct or through a dealer? if direct was it assembled correctly?
  • moonio
    No its not a fixed wheel bike, all i remember is putting my feet down and the pedals repeatedly hitting my calves which slowed the bike.
    Hmm maybe something is wrong with the set up then???
    The springs were added my the manufacturers recommended mechanic some time after the bike had been purchased and it was bought through a dealer.
  • moonio
    Actually thinking about it, I think the forward movement of the bike was forcing my legs into the pedals not the pedals rotating and hitting my legs.
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    Which electric bike is it? So I can tell everyone I know never to get one.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010