damn....v brakes won't centre......damn damn double

wyadvd
wyadvd Posts: 590
edited December 2009 in The workshop
Any really experienced brake adjusters out the ...I hope so. Ive got a specialized globe vienna and decided the non shimano v brakes on it were s%$te so i took em off , threw them as far as I could and blew seventy quid on some proper shimano ones.

The problem with the old ones was that I'd think i had got the centering perfect, go for a ridw and find the pad on one side hugging the rim again ......damn.

So i seem to have the same problem on the new rear brakes!! Double damn.

The end of the cable for the rear brakes was so mangled that i kept the old noodle on the back brakes......the cable on the front was pristeen so i was able to use the niclely machined shim noodle....front brakes are sweeeeet.

So whats the solution ...?

Is it the old noodle do you think?

My guess is : new cable , new noodle?

Oh the other thing ....I used the tightest spring hole (of three) when i mounted the spindle on the post. Is that a help or a hinderance? The shimano instructions suggest the middle hole...

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    If they are springing from the rim, but just not centring, it should be easy to adjust using the small screws at the base of the arm. Turn clockwise to move the one arm away, turn the other anti-clockwise to moce closer.

If that doesn't work, it would suggest the cables sticking so new cable and noodle.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • wyadvd
    so how about the overall spring tension (as set by the choice of the three holes on the post) If I choose the tightest tension setting, will this make them more or less likely to be off balance? Im kinda thinking that the two sides are kind of "fighting against each other" and if the tension is high then small differentials in tesion might have a disproportionate effect?
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Have you lubricated the pivot surfaces? If the friction is significant then you will find yourself having to readjust spring tension all the time.

You should be able to release the spring tension to check if the arms are pivoting freely.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • wyadvd
    just had a play.....my problem was that the pad on one side was mounted too close to the centre of the wheel on the rim.....so it locked onto the rim when the brakes were operated hard. The v shape of the rim 'trapped' the pad.

My feed back might help someone else?