Pannier bags? Decent strength and waterproof ones?

downfader
downfader Posts: 3,686
edited December 2009 in Road buying advice
I tend to use a rackbag on top of my rack, only about 10L capacity but it has done me well for a long time. However lately I have begun to run out of space and reckon I need around an extra 10L max.

What are my options for a pannier bag (single or set) that is:
-very waterproof
-tough and strong fabric
-good mounting system (the old altura one never fit my rack strangely) and easy to use
-must not block view of light on seatpost
-reflective areas and/or straps or something to hang lights off if possible.

Internal pockets are not really necesary but would be ok if they dont intefere with a bulk of space. My current rackbag is basically a box with a handle and straps and I stuff it with work clothes as well as waterproof coat.

Cheers if you have any ideas - been looking at Vaude Aqua Front

Cheers!

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,593
    Ortlieb panniers are stunning quality, me and my gf have 2 pairs of back roller classics.

Fully waterproof, and very hardwearing, even when having the odd off......

Great mounting sytem also, and easy to remove single handed, and put back on single handed.

If they are too big, front roller classics are smaller, and I assume could also be used on a rear rack.

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    Daniel B wrote:
    Ortlieb panniers are stunning quality, me and my gf have 2 pairs of back roller classics.

Fully waterproof, and very hardwearing, even when having the odd off......

Great mounting sytem also, and easy to remove single handed, and put back on single handed.

If they are too big, front roller classics are smaller, and I assume could also be used on a rear rack.

Dan

Thanks for that. I did have a quick gander at this already:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Ortli ... 360007508/
    Seems they come in red too.. are they 25L each or as the set?
  • LazyLoki
    LazyLoki Posts: 127
    Ortlieb list their pannier capacity as a set, so 25l is for the both of them.
  • Carradice Bike Bureau, if using for commuting duties, which it sounds like you are. Awesome bag, tough and very well made, effective yet unobtrusive pockets and dividers, great mounting system, cotton duck material is very waterproof. Not sure what the quoted size is but it's sufficient for work clothes plus laptop plus bits. Some dude has written a very comprehensive review out there on the web, which a little google search will reveal. He loves it; I love it too, it's the perfect single bag for dealing with a day-in day-out commute. Better than ortliebs for this kind of thing, cos you've actually got places to put stuff without it becoming a big jumble - the ortliebs are simply an extremely well made "volume".