Gore Windproof Balaclava - Any Good

diddyfunk
diddyfunk Posts: 252
edited December 2009 in MTB buying advice
HI

Has anyone got any experience with the Gore Windproof Balaclava?

It says 'WINDSTOPPER® Soft-Shell at brow and ears' so im guessing that it is not totally windproof - just where it says.

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/17179/Gor ... n=pid17179

As the days are getting colder would this be a good purchase?

Many Thanks
2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert Evo
08 Scott Scale 60 - http://i797.photobucket.com/albums/yy25 ... CF2299.jpg

Comments

• missmarple
    missmarple Posts: 1,980
    I bought a Lusso Balaclava, doesn't state it was "wind-proof", has a silk construction and does seem to keep me very warm, don't feel the wind but I hear it whistling through the gaps.

Another point, wore it for the first time at Swinley - make sure you get anti-fog glasses if you're wearing them as they'll easily fog up with vapour from your breath. The mouth area of the balaclava also gets very moist and at points can become cold so be wary of that.

Mind you after an hour I took it off as it was boiling, and this was at night!

Hope this helps.
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    i have an assos balaclava, used it a few times for night riding, thankfully its a bit stretchy so i had the lower bit on my chin so i could breathe. with the gore one you could put a skull cap with it.
    or then theres that buff cyclone if you can find it somewhere in stock.
    being able to breathe without fogging up your cycling glasses is the most important thing and a truly comfortable non overheating fit is vital.
  • popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    TK Maxx sells "Oxford" buffs, it's 3 of them in a pack of different styles/colours you may choose and all for £5 per pack. I manage to use only 2 at times , to cover neck and half face ... sounds weird* and the other one as scull cap under helmet. Warm and very comfortable (it is that kind of fancy breathing soft material I forgot the name of) yet don't sweat that much, given that am sweaty p*g once doing any form of excersize.
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • S_J_P
    S_J_P Posts: 908
    +1 for a buff!

Buffs offer the protection of a balaclava, but are far more flexible :) I especially like the balaclava-buff as you can pull the mouth/nose portion down when you start to warm-up!