Winter Jacket £200 budget

dawebbo
dawebbo Posts: 456
edited December 2009 in Road buying advice
As the post say... any recommendations? Key requirements are comfort and breathability

I'm currently steering towards the Endura Stealth. Though the Assos 851 also seems a good shout, or perhaps if a Gore Phantom II.

Any comments welcome.

Thanks

Comments

• softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    Lusso windtex - which still leaves you about £150 to spend on other stuff.....
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Do you want a waterproof or a jacket to wear when its cold?
    More problems but still living....
  • akkers
    akkers Posts: 140
    Assos 851 or Assos Fugu depending how cold you feel (although the Fugu is more expensive but well worth it if you feel nippy)
  • dawebbo
    Mainly for cold. Resistance against light drizzle would be a plus, but not essential.

Would rather spend a bit more to get better quality (as it will get hammered), unless you think the lusso is of comparable build.
  • The Gore Tool jacket is brilliant - and will probably cost you less than half of your budget.

I'm not sure that they make it any more but there are some kicking about.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    I use a Gore Oxygen. Better shape than the Phantom on me.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    go with the stealth, very warm, completely wind and waterproof.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • othello
    othello Posts: 578
    maddog 2 wrote:
    I use a Gore Oxygen. Better shape than the Phantom on me.

+1 for the Gore Oxygen SO
    Blogging about junior road bikes http://junior-road-bikes.tumblr.com
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Assos 851 - Had mines for its 3rd year and it stil looks new. I only wear a decent base layer with it for any conditions and its the only winter jacket you need. I carry a light weight rain jacket packed in my back pocket incase of rain.
    Brian B.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    edited November 2009
    dawebbo wrote:

Would rather spend a bit more to get better quality (as it will get hammered), unless you think the lusso is of comparable build.

not sure what you mean by 'comparable build' - I've had Lusso stuff for several winters now (and yes, it gets a 'hammering' round here), and I still have two pairs of Lusso bib shorts which I bought in the mid 90s and they're still going strong. I'm sure the Assos jacket would do the job equally well, if you would rather spend over the odds......
  • ajb72
    ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    just had first ride with Rapha Classic Softshell this weekend - incredibly comfortable and remained cool and dry despite climbing the hills of the Cotswolds with man-flu! Could be worn with a simple base layer or a thicker layer when it gets closer to zero. Not tested waterproof ability yet but all reports I've seen are positive in this area too.

Rapha gear gets its share of grief on forums, but this is a top quality jacket worth considering. Brand new it is slightly over the budget you mention, but worth calling the likes of Royles to see what they can do. They appear on ebay for around half price too.
  • ajb72
    ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    One thing I have heard said often about the Stealth is that it's a great jacket, but quite warm to wear. It may be suited to the coldest days only, rather than being breatheable enough to wear on slightly warmer days? Hopefully Stealth owners can shed some light on this for you?
  • Slow1972
    Slow1972 Posts: 362
    Giordana body clone - will survive drizzle, nice slim fit, wind resistant, keep you warm with just a baselayer, decent collar and a nice double cuff arrangement so you can tuck your gloves under and then zip the cuff up over the top

Cosy :)
  • rokkala
    rokkala Posts: 649
    edited November 2009
    ajb72 wrote:
    One thing I have heard said often about the Stealth is that it's a great jacket, but quite warm to wear. It may be suited to the coldest days only, rather than being breatheable enough to wear on slightly warmer days? Hopefully Stealth owners can shed some light on this for you?

It is a warm jacket, but definately not just for the coldest days only. If your heating up then there are two massive zip vents on either side, so up/down accordingly, and two smaller pit zips. Cuffs are adjustable as well if you want some extra air up there. And it has this really big zip up the middle too! :D
  • Go with stealth :D
  • a_n_t
    Brian B wrote:
    its the only winter jacket you need. I carry a light weight rain jacket packed in my back pocket incase of rain.

So not quite "the only jacket" then? :D
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • a_n_t
    Rokkala wrote:
    there are two massive zip vents on other side, so up/down accordingly, and two smaller pit zips. :D

this.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • bigal.
    bigal. Posts: 479
    Assos 851

Next question please.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Assos 851. There are no substitutes.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I could have done with a Fugu on Sunday
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • dawebbo
    I tried on the 851 and the stealth last night. The 851 was a slightly nicer fit, though the stealth was still good. Both feel pretty similar in terms of warmth. The guy in the shop said they sell more of the stealths - though that may be down to price.

I'm still torn between the versatility of the stealth (ie also waterproof) vs the extra comfort of the 851...
  • Just got my Etxeondo Magent from Prendas. Absolutely beautiful and a great fit. £190.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • dawebbo
    Have gone for the Stealth - managed to get it online for £128 via a deal with my work (which just edged it for me).

Will update with my thoughts after a few weeks of testing.

Thanks for all the advice.
  • a_n_t
    dawebbo wrote:
    Have gone for the Stealth .

good man, I love mine. :wink:
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    I thought the Stealth was more of an MTB orientated jacket :o ??, whilst Assos is definitely roadie kit
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    its not a race specific coat, but its specific enough to use on a road bike.
  • Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    When I was look at a good winter jacket I narrowed it down to 2 - Assos 851 Limited Edition Green or the Endura Stealth.

I loved the colour of the Assos, but the Endura won because it is also waterproof.

Went out tonight with 1 long sleeve base layer and the jacket (I normally wear 4 layers) and was warm for the whole of the 3 hour ride. Its about 2 degrees out with really cold foggy patches. I am hard to please when it comes to clothing but this has been my best purchase to date.
  • a_n_t
    Percy Vera wrote:
    this has been my best purchase to date.

definately the best bit of clothing I've bought, including my assos bib shorts!
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Yeah glad I got my Stealth to, when it's gets cold (like last night) my Gore Phantom just doesn't cut it (when wearing only 1 merino baselayer anyway), I was fine in the Stealth though. Wore a Gore Kidney Warmer out for the first time last night to and it's great (although I'm a bit on the tubby side for it :p ).

Not doubt the Assos 851 is a nice jacket but it's a hell of a lot of money and not waterproof, given the Stealth does everything I need I'm not sure why I'd want to spend more.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I'm looking at the stealth but I run really hot. What sort of temps can you wear it up to?

Yesterday I was sweaty in armwarmers SS jersey and a thin gilet.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017