University Research Questionnaire

anklesben
anklesben Posts: 2
edited December 2009 in MTB general
For a module at my University I need to design a mountain bike. At the moment I am doing some customer research and have a questionnaire that I need people to fill in. I am designing a new Trail Mountain Bike and my questionnaire is:

1. How much rear suspension travel would you like the bike to have?

Less than 150mm 150mm to 160mm 160mm to 170mm More than 170mm

2. How much front suspension travel would you like the bike to have?

3. How long would you like the wheelbase of the bike to be?

Less than 1150mm 1150mm to 1170mm 1170mm to 1190mm More than 1190mm

4. How long would you like the Chainstay length of the bike to be?

Less than 420mm 420mm to 440mm More than 440mm

5. How much would you be willing to pay for a Trail Mountain Bike?

Less than £1000 £1000 to £2000 £2000 to £3000 More than £3000

6. How much would you like the bike to weight?

Less than 13kg 13kg to 15kg 15kg to 17kg More than 17kg

7. What category would you put your self in?

Professional Social Novice

8. How often do you use your current mountain bike? (please write in space provided)

If you could post the answers to the questions as a message or send the answers to me as a private message that would be brilliant.

Thanks you very much for doing the questionnaire.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I think you need to define a few of your parameters better. Firstly, what do you mean by 'trail' bike? Generally it is defined as an XC bike with a little more travel, and a bit more relaxed geometry ie up to 120mm or so travel. Your boundaries are quite close in the middle of the range, and 170mm plus is generally DH and freeride territory.

Also wheelbase may be a function of the size of the bike and the size of the rider. Similarly weight is related to the cost - and I am pretty sure we'd all want to spend as little as poissble and have as little weight as possible!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    SS put better than i could be arsed to do.

a lot of those numbers just will not work.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • category 7 is a bit vague.

i'm not a professional, but i would like to think of myself as above novice.

however I often ride alone, so does that exclude me from the social category?

I don't have a category :cry:
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    yoohoo999 wrote:
    category 7 is a bit vague.

i'm not a professional, but i would like to think of myself as above novice.

however I often ride alone, so does that exclude me from the social category?

I don't have a category :cry:

Anti-Social :)
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • anarchist! :twisted:
  • 1. How much rear suspension travel would you like the bike to have?

120 is ample.................

2. How much front suspension travel would you like the bike to have?

120 is ample..................

3. How long would you like the wheelbase of the bike to be?

Less than 1150mm 1150mm to 1170mm 1170mm to 1190mm More than 1190mm

No idea and would doubt any "amateur" rider would either...............

4. How long would you like the Chainstay length of the bike to be?

Less than 420mm 420mm to 440mm More than 440mm

No idea and would doubt any "amateur" would either..................

5. How much would you be willing to pay for a Trail Mountain Bike?

Less than £1000 £1000 to £2000 £2000 to £3000 More than £3000

£1-2000..................

6. How much would you like the bike to weight?

Less than 13kg 13kg to 15kg 15kg to 17kg More than 17kg

Convert to lbs pls.................................

7. What category would you put your self in?

Professional Social Novice

Social.........................

8. How often do you use your current mountain bike? (please write in space provided)

Often, sometimes 2-3 times a week and sometimes not
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Do some research into xc bikes and come back with the right questions, eg bike weight, more than 17kg, this bike would have to built by shipbuilders if it were an xc bike. :)
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • 1. 120mm would be right
    2. about 120mm again
    3. 1150-1170mm
    4. 420- 440mm
    5. £2-3K
    6. less than 13KG
    7. professional
    8. every day

you should bring down the size categories for travel to 80mm- 150mm.
    geometry ie angles tend to have a greater effect on handling than the length.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    Convert to lbs pls.................................
    Anyone else notice in the mags, one min they work in lbs then in grams ??
    i have to work in grams and convert lbs on my phone to know if a bike part is heavy or light!

(the trouble with schooling i guess?)
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    What really gets me is how the mags state the front travel in mm and the rear in inches. I'm sure I've seen this in shock measurements elsewhere, the stroke and eye-to-eye given in different conventions!!

:shock:

Or how you go to the supermarket and pick up two bottles of ketchup to compare which is better value for money and you bloody can't because the weights are different conventions! Doesn't happen so much any more though.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Ankles,
    I'd think a trail bike would have less than 150mm travel, be fairly light and know nothing about chainstay lengths etc...
    You may be better asking what features people want on a bike, or what they want to be able to do on their bike.
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    Are we dealing in the realm of the possible or what you would want regardless?
    The only constant I can think of is a head tube angle that adjusts from 67 to 70 degrees with adjustable travel front suspension. As for chanstay length the shorter the better 14 1/2 inches (370mm ish) is what I would 'want' on a 26" wheeler so 420mm (16.5 inches) would be alright for a 29er :roll: Other wise it woul be really front heavy.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    100-140 adjustable front and rear
    Don't know about wheelbase, but i would want it long, so fairly stable
    seat stays/ chain stays - as short as possible
    £1000-£2000
    around 13kg
    intermediate
    2-5 days a week
  • do some research in to six sigma re-design processes
    Remember your not designing a new prodcut, trail bikes exist, your resigning what would be a better version

Your voice of the customer need to be generated from open questions that will generate answers that arn't yes/no, you need to collect voices that say what your customer likes about 'Trail bike' and then images of what they would like thier trail bike to be like.
    Don't ask you customer to chose a spec, you end up with a prodcuct thats designed to suit everyone but really suits no one

Once you have your voice you can do a KJ diagram that will give you the most important customer requirements, then get you customers to score theer importance, then when you do a QFD (you'll understand once you've looked into it) you score the customer requirements agaisnt what you can provide functionally. i.e. you can't give them a carbon bike if they want a £2000 price tag.
    This then tells you want customer requirements you can deliver.

at this point you would do a basic design and then prototype with and experianced test rider to see if the product met those requiremetns and then tweak till its close. And there would be all the engineerign test work.

To be honset you might have bitten of more than you can chew for a uni module, most bike maker will have a team of people full time doing new prodcuct development
  • Yawn :lol:
  • Any chance do you do Mechanical Engineering as next year hopefully I'll be doing it at uni and one day i'd love to design mountain bikes.
    Giant XTC SE 2006
    Cube LTD Race 2009
    Trek Fuel EX 9