Shedding the pounds - too much of a good thing?

Stevo_666
Stevo_666 Posts: 58,419
edited December 2009 in Commuting chat
I think quite a few of us enjoy losing weight as one of the benefits of cycling/commuting and it was something I wanted to do. The only slight problem is, I've lost weight faster than I had expected - not that I was overweight in the first place (I don't think....).

I'd gone back into cycling as a way of getting some 'back friendly' exercise - I had a slipped disc earlier this year which might have been brought on by too much running and weights. This was the second one in a few years and they are ****ing painful ! I've probably shed a stone in the last few months and am now under 11st (I'm 5'10").

I am not complaining as this is a good weight and I feel great but tbh I don't want to lose any more as walking around in the shower to get wet will be a pain :) However, I'm not totally convinced that stocking up on pies and beer is necessarily the ideal solution to keep things balanced out, nice though that may be.

I'd appreciate any words of wisdom from folks who have been through this before.

Cheers,
Steve.
"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]

Comments

• Can I borrow your metabolic system please?
    10 stone something doesn't sound too bad for 5' 10", you are really worried do some strength work as muscle is heavier than fat.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    However, I'm not totally convinced that stocking up on pies and beer is necessarily the ideal solution to keep things balanced out

You are crazy.
  • One of the guys I know has been told to lay off the cycling by his wife. He's not a big eater and is starting to disappear. I think it can be surprising how much you'll burn off, one of the online calculators I saw reckoned I would burn off about 800 calories each way on my commute, and that was using a lower speed than I actually go.

Luckily, I like eating. :D
  • Stevo_666
    I already eat like a firkin horse :D We get free food in our office as well and it has not gone un-noticed how much I get through....
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    I am not complaining as this is a good weight and I feel great but tbh I don't want to lose any more

You might well find that your weight loss will stop and your weight will level out. Mine did (just at a, ahem, heavier weight than yours!).
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • I need to get down to that weight too - its the beer and pies that stop me and quite frankly, you can't have too many pies or beers so I'm in limbo.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    We get free food in our office as well

That would mean the end for me.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • Stevo_666
    I suppose the 'incredible shrinking man' act will have its limits, so maybe I should just carry on and let Christmas act as a natural brake on things before making a New Year's resolution to eat a few more pies :twisted:
  • I can only dream of being 70Kg (11 stone) again at 5'10", just like the days when I was taking part in national TaeKwonDo sparring tournaments, in the early 90s!

Given that I now suffer from SAD, with one of the minor side effects being serious carbohydrate cravings in the evenings, I'm just thankful that I have finally found a job that I enjoy (alone, outdoors) and burns calories like no bodies business. The job? Part-time postie. :)

Even had a scary first ever blackout (due to low blood sugar levels) the other week, as the physical demands of the job are quite something, especially after 5 months redundancy where I was lucky to exert myself 3 times a week on the Pylon8.

The point of this essay? Just be very aware of how much energy you body needs. There is no point is starving your body of energy and risking blackouts in dangerous circumstances.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    I suppose the 'incredible shrinking man' act will have its limits, so maybe I should just carry on and let Christmas act as a natural brake on things before making a New Year's resolution to eat a few more pies :twisted:
    Just out of interest how many miles a week are you doing to cause such uncontrollable weight loss? I have the opposite problem, no matter what I do the weight keeps going up!
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • I can only dream of being 70Kg (11 stone) again at 5'10", just like the days when I was taking part in national TaeKwonDo sparring tournaments, in the early 90s!

Given that I now suffer from SAD, with one of the minor side effects being serious carbohydrate cravings in the evenings, I'm just thankful that I have finally found a job that I enjoy (alone, outdoors) and burns calories like no bodies business. The job? Part-time postie. :)

Even had a scary first ever blackout (due to low blood sugar levels) the other week, as the physical demands of the job are quite something, especially after 5 months redundancy where I was lucky to exert myself 3 times a week on the Pylon8.

The point of this essay? Just be very aware of how much energy you body needs. There is no point is starving your body of energy and risking blackouts in dangerous circumstances.

You've got to know what your body will and will not do, mine cares not about being fed, but doesn't like early starts and if out on the roadie is much happier going out after having built up a full head of steam.

where as, was quite happy as a postie working for a number of days with out food (I'd had food poisoning) and I'm quite bad about missing meals or even days sometimes getting lightheaded etc simply isn't a issue.

mind you working with out food didn't half take a chunk out of the old fat reserves.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Cyclists/commuters can't eat too much food I feel, so I'm glad I can eat what I like safe in the knowledge my daily commute and 3 x weekly running sessions keeps my weight in check :D

SAD-induced carbo craving now on all systems go. N.O. I use Lucozade/chocolate as an emergency aid if I get that low. Been very lightheaded but no blackouts.
  • Stevo_666
    edited November 2009
    pst88 wrote:
    Just out of interest how many miles a week are you doing to cause such uncontrollable weight loss? I have the opposite problem, no matter what I do the weight keeps going up!
    About 50-55miles a week of commuting (2 days a week) plus a bit of mucking around on the mountain bike at weekends. This is on top of an occasional run (subject to the back feeling OK) and about 500-600 sits ups/press ups week and a few weights. Genetics does play a part - both my parents were/are still quite lean.
  • Stevo_666
    Good point NO - although that really isn't a danger for me with the amount I can tuck away, esp. on cycling days and the day after !
  • Sounds like you have a similar problem to me. I play rugby for both my school team and the local club in the position of second row, despite only weighing 75kg at 6'2. I can't put any weight on even if I eat ridiculous amounts. My coach has told me I need to put more weight on. My fellow second row weighs 92kg and is smaller than I am. I must say I am only five teen though otherwise it would be strange to weigh so little. I guess its not all bad though. :roll:
  • just eat more of healthy food then! simple
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Sounds like you have a similar problem to me. I play rugby for both my school team and the local club in the position of second row, despite only weighing 75kg at 6'2. I can't put any weight on even if I eat ridiculous amounts. My coach has told me I need to put more weight on. My fellow second row weighs 92kg and is smaller than I am.

Out of interest, can that be good for the hooker (assuming your mate puts more power down than you)?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    Sounds like you have a similar problem to me. I play rugby for both my school team and the local club in the position of second row, despite only weighing 75kg at 6'2. I can't put any weight on even if I eat ridiculous amounts. My coach has told me I need to put more weight on. My fellow second row weighs 92kg and is smaller than I am. I must say I am only five teen though otherwise it would be strange to weigh so little. I guess its not all bad though. :roll:

I'm now 13.5 st whereas I've peaked at 15.5st. Cycling definitely helps although I could do with getting down to 12.5st, I just can't see that happening as I like my food too much along with the errm occasional beer.

I couldn't put weight on until when I was younger, I was about 11.5st until I was 28 or so, but then...all the hard training of eating and drinking paid off...a bit too much :roll:

A friend of mine is in a Welsh Regions team squad second row, he's a big bloke but is also struggling to put weight on. You should see the diet list he has - I wouldn't like his food bill!

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • Sounds like you have a similar problem to me. I play rugby for both my school team and the local club in the position of second row, despite only weighing 75kg at 6'2. I can't put any weight on even if I eat ridiculous amounts. My coach has told me I need to put more weight on. My fellow second row weighs 92kg and is smaller than I am. I must say I am only five teen though otherwise it would be strange to weigh so little. I guess its not all bad though. :roll:

75 kg at 6`2 is very light.

You can put on weight. Without a doubt. However, its not easy- your body type is called an ectomorph- eg you have a v high metabolism. This is made higher by your high activity level.

Eat lots and lots of food- high carb but not sugary- eg pasta, rice, bread- dont be afraid of fat either- and eat every 3 hours

you WILL gain weight- but at 15 you will fill out over time

The human metabolism slows down with age
  • Big Wib
    Big Wib Posts: 363
    :P :P :P :P

i put on weight wandering past the food these days (didn't until my early 20s)
  • Hi Stevo 666 ,......I had a similar situation.At one point I was losing about 1 to 2 lbs a week for quite a while and the weight just kept dropping. People started to comment that I was wasting away but I was eating more than everbody around me. It almost became a joke at one point that I'd finish off any spare food going. Then the weight just levelled off and is now slightly rising again as Winter approaches. I was worried at one point but now I'm happy that the body will regulate this and within reason I just eat what I feel I need.