Sheered gears......

Jonsquires
Jonsquires Posts: 33
edited December 2009 in MTB beginners
Went out for a ride yesterday and aout 5 miles in a stick got caught in my back wheel, and completely sheered of my rear deraileur...has this happend to any one else? I am just wionderign how much of a freak occurence this is?

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    It happens, or they get knocked off by rocks, tree stumps etc. You might just need a new mech hanger, from somewhere like BETD.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Yep happened to me it is why the mech hanger is designed to fail to save the frame.

new mech hanger should be 5-20 quid. But your rear mech may also be damaged. then if it happens out on trail you end up shortenning the chain to go single speed to get you home and all in all you end up needing...

mech hanger
    mech
    chain
    cassett

not much change from 100 quid
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    ^^ 100 quid for hanger/mech/chain/ cassette ?
    my , arent we cheap :wink:
    i'd spend that just on valve caps :lol:
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    You probably dont need to go all out with a new chain and cassette.

If your lucky the mech will be OK and only a new hanger is needed (note the if your lucky part)

If your chain isn't worn (use a chain checker to monitor it), just relink it with a powerlink.. Cassette should also be OK.

I did this last year to my bike. Mech was destroyed, hanger was snapped. Only changed my chain and cassette because they were going to be replaced the same weekend anyway.

If you have to buy the lot it can be done for £100. Probably all deore though. My choice if I had to would be an upgrade to XT with a sram PC971 chain. All in probably about 150 quid
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP