my br 4500 brakes are absolute rubbish any suggestions

vtech1.5
vtech1.5 Posts: 97
edited November 2009 in Road buying advice
Hi
I have a Cannondale synapse tiagra alu which I've had for a couple of months now, very happy but now its always wet i'm finding the brakes are almost useless, i end up braking and waiting for them to work !! not very safe ( i have 105 calipers on my other bike which are great in comparison ) i need long reach calipers though as i have full mudguards any ideas ?
thanks

Comments

• Sorry if you know this stuff already, but before you change your brakes:

1. Are your brake blocks hitting the rims square on (ideally with just a touch of toe in)?
    2. Have you tried some different brake blocks? You could swap the ones off your 105s to test this.
    3. Are your brake blocks set just a couple of mm off your rim on each side

If your brakes are almost useless, that usually means something's set up wrong...
  • Hi
    Yes i checked the set up they have been pretty poor since new, just dont have the bite of the others and i'm not light which probably make matters worse :oops:
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    Try Kool Stop pads. :wink:
    Cycling weakly
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Theseare the long drop equivalent of Ultegra's, and have a very strong and smooth action + Kool Stops 8)
  • thanks
    I might try the shimano 650's out when i get the £ spare
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Maybe just buy the front, personally I hardly ever use the rear, however as a set they are cheaper from Ribble.
  • Stellite
    Stellite Posts: 544
    +1 for the shimano R650s. I have fitted these to my winter bike and then stop my bike!

Im stil on the original pads at the mo, but will be switching to cool stops once they need replacing.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/productde ... HIMBRAR360

I got them from ribble, priced per pair, so not too bad on the wallet!
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    this forum should have a bulk buy on koolstop pads. very prolific pad amongst all ranges of people. if they wont stop you the calipers must be made from cheese.