Knee Pads

compo
compo Posts: 1,370
edited November 2009 in MTB general
I'm now a fairly intermediate rider and do XC/messing about in the woods/ trails.
Just wondering if it would be worth buying knee pads and if it would boost my confidence?

Cheers :)

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    they will not boost your confidence but they mat stop you scratching your knees.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Get some 661 Kylie Straits, do a pretty good job of keeping your knees warm on long winter rides (had mine on for 3hrs plus today) and occaisionally they'll also stop you destroying your knees. Bit like the helmet debate really, I've worn a helmet for years, don't think I've ever hit my head but it does keep the rain off to some extent, you never need them till you crash by which time it's a bit late if you're not wearing them.

Might boost your confidence, can't say it did for me though.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    the 661s are a bit pricey - is there a cheaper option?
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Don't know but the 661s are worth the cash IMHO, if the pads are not comfy, you won't wear them and then it's a complete waste of money however cheap they are.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • fitch28
    fitch28 Posts: 155
    i have the race face dig knee pads which are comfy as hell (quite happy to take a long drive home in them) and pretty cheap too.
  • They're a bit cheaper here:

http://www.bikeoutlet.co.uk/products/66 ... 912-0.html

... and yes they do boost my confidence.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    i found knee and elbow pads boosted my confidence, my risk taking is stil calculated but i feel a bit braver and will tackle more technical (especially rocky) terrain.

kyle straits are very comfy too.
  • jools182
    jools182 Posts: 216
    wait until you crack your knee on a rock like I did

then you'll start wearing em

it fooking knacks man :cry:
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    tld t bones around the same price as kylieeeeeessss,, but alot more sturdier.. they don't move on impact....

as for confidence boost maybe, but they definatly protect your knee should you have an off,,, if were'nt for kylees my 2 trips to whistler would of been ruined this year with off, i took a killer blow to my right knee riding well falling off a teetertotter on river runs through it, fell 6 foot off it onto a cut down tree stump, my right knee took the impact it still hurt like hell and made me hobble round in circles for 10 minutes... even swelled up and gave me a dead leg,,
    but i was able to ride out and back to the chalet and ride the next day and the rest of the hol.. knee pads do work.. so do elbow pads...
  • Jedi
    Jedi Posts: 827
    i use tsg knee pads. all about the hard shell not the flexi shell!
  • gaz047
    gaz047 Posts: 601
    +1 for the kyle straits, light, comfy and warm in winter.
    if it ain't rainin.....it ain't trainin
    Stick your 'rules' up your a%se
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I think they will boost your confidence.

There are a couple of rocky drops I do fairly regulary nothing extreme I just dont feel confident doing them without my knee and elbow pads on and usually bottle it and have to mince down.

Pads on and I just go for it dont even give it a 2nd thought.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap