SPD's

smeev
smeev Posts: 105
edited December 2009 in Road beginners
Hello all,

I have had my bike for about a month now & i am now considering getting pedals & shoes.
Which is the best option to get. I ahve got about £100 to spend on the shoes & pedals.
I have been spending like mad since i have got my spesh allez & feel now this is the last step. i mean, i have just purchase some tights for the colder nights for my rides at night/work commutes & tbf, i look a bit stupid with tights & trainers.
I know from reading in these brill forums, that it is worth doing a couple of months with the standard toe-clips that come with the bike.
Are these one's any good for my first purchse & will they match together?

[url=thttp://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Shimano_PD-R540_SPD_SL_Sport_Pedals/5360011753/oe-clips]thttp://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Shim ... 3/oe-clips[/url]"

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/dhb_R ... 360042950/

Thanks.
Special eyes 4 ever....

Comments

• hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Glad you're enjoying your cycling enough to be spending cash already...

The two items you spec are compatible and, IMHO, willbe a good starting point for you.
    :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • you seen the deal on planet x page for shoes / pedals
  • Wiggle's own shoes are great and cheap I think dhb is the name and 520 spd's, prob set you back 70 quid
  • smeev
    thanks guys,

Although, i was in my local decathlon store today & had there own make shoes & pedals for about £60 combioned. The shoes looked quite respectable.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/700-shoes ... -49814144/

These are down to £34.99.
    Has anybody brought these shoes??

cheers.
    Special eyes 4 ever....
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    smeev wrote:
    Hello all,

I have had my bike for about a month now & i am now considering getting pedals & shoes.
    Which is the best option to get. I ahve got about £100 to spend on the shoes & pedals.
    I have been spending like mad since i have got my spesh allez & feel now this is the last step. i mean, i have just purchase some tights for the colder nights for my rides at night/work commutes & tbf, i look a bit stupid with tights & trainers.
    I know from reading in these brill forums, that it is worth doing a couple of months with the standard toe-clips that come with the bike.
    Are these one's any good for my first purchse & will they match together?

[url=thttp://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Shimano_PD-R540_SPD_SL_Sport_Pedals/5360011753/oe-clips]thttp://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Shim ... 3/oe-clips[/url]"

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/dhb_R ... 360042950/

Thanks.

Unlikely :)

Always something to buy, specially now youve been directed to Planet X website :wink:
  • merlie
    merlie Posts: 276
    anything wrong with using my mtb spuds and shoes on the road racer ?
  • i was in my local decathlon store today & had there own make shoes & pedals

Decatahlon shoes look fine to me, I have a fair amount of Decathalon stuff (bought in France) and it has all been (at the very least) functional. The French cycling consumer seems to be well treated and discerning!

The most important thing with shoes in general is to try them on for the correct fit (as with any shoes!) All brands (IME) seem to come up slightly different even though marked the same.

Nothing worse than shoes that are either too tight (and they shouldn't stretch!) or too loose and have a "sloppy" feel

In my book, nothing at all! It will depend (to a degree) the type of MTB shoe you have. If they are the semi-flexy version to allow walking/pushing then they will not be ideal but certainly better than flat pedals, and probably more convenient than toe clips/straps.

Neil
  • mcflyss
    mcflyss Posts: 257
    I've got the DHB shoes and they are really good. I do the same kind of biking as you and they have never failed me. Only thing I would say is make sure you get some good socks as in the winter ya toes get mighty cold!! good in summer as they have a lot of venting which is good!
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    merlie wrote:
    No. I do that on my winter bikes.
  • dawebbo
    dawebbo Posts: 456
    Highly recommend the DHB shoes. I have the MTB equivalent for commuting and my brother has the ones you linked and he rates them.

If you're going to be doing shorter rides and commuting I'd probably recommend going for the MTB ones with SPDs - as they are easier to get used to if you've never used before and have the added benefit that you can actually walk in them.

I haven't seen the decathlon shoes, but in my experience decathlon gear is pretty poor quality and doesn't last.
  • smeev
    Have just got the above mention DHB shoes & shimano pedals & they are truly fab. Have always wanted SPD combo's from way back when i was a youngster on a Raleigh Tempest. Put them on today at work & decided to plunge myself deeper into the "fall off" secario by going home through a busy shopping centre complex (merry hill centre)
    TBF, i didnt feel uncomfortable at all & the closer i got home, the more confident i got.
    I think with the possiblity of "falling over" it makes think about whats infront of you more.
    Special eyes 4 ever....
  • smeev wrote:
    Have just got the above mention DHB shoes & shimano pedals & they are truly fab. Have always wanted SPD combo's from way back when i was a youngster on a Raleigh Tempest. Put them on today at work & decided to plunge myself deeper into the "fall off" secario by going home through a busy shopping centre complex (merry hill centre)
    TBF, i didnt feel uncomfortable at all & the closer i got home, the more confident i got.
    I think with the possiblity of "falling over" it makes think about whats infront of you more.

Its when you relax that you have your first 'clipless moment' - but fortunately thats likely to be when there's nothing to keep you concentrating hard like traffic. On the other hand if there is only one patch of nettles in a 5 mile radius that's almost certainly where it'll happen.
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • pianoman
    pianoman Posts: 706
    If you're going to be doing shorter rides and commuting I'd probably recommend going for the MTB ones with SPDs - as they are easier to get used to if you've never used before and have the added benefit that you can actually walk in them.

But not only for short rides and commuting!

Some people would have you believe that road shoes and pedals MUST be faster than MTB's, but if you choose a stiff soled MTB shoes and a light pedal (think Wellgo single-sided, Ritchey Micro Road) you shouldn't notice a difference. I used to use Look Keo's with Diadora road shoes but kept noticing that the cleats were flexing after a little wear - and then they kept snapping at the tip under hard efforts. So most people would have thought that the SIDI Dominators I use now would have slowed me down, but personally I've never noticed any performance drop off.

And yes, walking is far easier in MTB shoes, superlight or otherwise.