What's your 2010 tour?

2»

Comments

• Planning on cycling National Route 7 from Sunderland to Inverness via Penrith and Carlisle. Probably May or June, camping with the odd B&B thrown in. I'll either return by rail to Newcastle upon Tyne or (preferably) cycle back via Aberdeen and the Coast & Castles route. Does anyone have info on a good route between Inverness and Aberdeen?
  • I'm doing the Raid Pyrenean in September. Woo-hoo! :lol:

That sounds like a great challange. Is there a set route and do you have a link to it.
    I'll either return by rail to Newcastle upon Tyne or (preferably) cycle back via Aberdeen and the Coast & Castles route

The Coast and Castles route is amazing especially when you get to Northumberland. I recommend poping onto the Holy Island. Don't get caught out by the tide like I did though. Wasn't to bad just ment I had to go back to the pub (the reason I missed it in the first place) :D . I also camped on the beach at Bambrugh and was up early enough for an amazing sunrise then cycled along the beach all the way to Seahouses. Some great memories.
  • Jonny_road wrote:
    The Coast and Castles route is amazing
    Inclined to agree with you J_r. I cycled the route from Sunderland to Aberdeen last June. I wish I'd taken more time over it but a) I was also visiting relations and b) I had a train booked from Aberdeen, so I felt that I was cycling to a schedule of sorts. It's the kind of route that you could almost leave the maps behind as signposting was pretty good overall.
  • DomT
    DomT Posts: 648
    I'm off to New Zealand later on today, going to spend a month on the South Island... :mrgreen:
  • going back to Venice from Gloucester in May. Aiming to do it a lot quicker this time- 8 days or less hopefully. Here's my last attempt www.pedallingtoitaly.blogspot.com

Then coming back, again, in Augsust, for my parents' 65th, then back out to Venice again until, well, not sure

Then it's Australia next year!!! :lol:

I'm cycling from Reading to Brindisi in July / August - see http://www.puglia2010.wordpress.com - and have just been looking at your website Oli - great videos. I even posted one to my own blog. Good luck with your cycle later this year!
    Andrew
  • A 6-day MTB Scottish Coast to Coast - using as little tarmac as possible and going ultralightweight...
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    To answer the op, I'd recommend a trip to Northern Spain. Santander and along the coast into the Picos de Europa, including a climb up Covadonga. Lovely beaches and scenery.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Planning 6 days in the Alps this year, 2 days in Swiss and 4 days in the Dolomites. Want to cycle 17 passes with a total of 16000hm and 550km.
    Have a look for detailed information of the Alps passes we want to cycle in 2010.

http://www.cyclingthealps.com/list-of-a ... asses-2010
  • Hi

Planning Grenoble to Nice via Barcelonette to take in a few cols. With the option of Combe Laval en route. We are going 12th to 20th August, a little earlier than normal. Has anyone been in that area at that time of year? (Drome, Haute Alpes, Provence). Slightly concerned it may be too hot and that accommodation may need pre booked (we prefer not to pre book accommodation).

Blackrockracer - Sounds a lovely trip. Out of interest, was it possible to cycle on quiet and slow (for cars) roads between calgary and vancouver?

Paul
  • PieterM
    PieterM Posts: 167
    I am leading a group trip to the Slovenian Alps at the end of May. The trip starts and finishes in Trieste, Italy. During 8 days we will ride from hotel to hotel covering all major climbs in the Slovenian Alps, including the famous Vrsic pass with its cobbled hairpin turns. I am very excited about this trip as this is the only part if the Alps that I have not ridden in yet and I have read only great stories about cycling in Slovenia!

I know that there are still a few spots available on this tour. Check it out at http://bikeplustours.com/slovenia-2010
    European Cycling Trips: http://bikeplustours.com
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    Semaine Federale 2010 (Verdun, Lorraine region).
  • Alex_Gill
    Alex_Gill Posts: 38
    Southampton to Santander via Navereux in the Pyrenees for some mountaineering,
    then back home for a sleep
    exercise.png
  • gradiric
    gradiric Posts: 89
    I'm doing an exact replica of the Tour de France this year, stage-for-stage, 2 weeks ahead of the professionals.

https://www.bmycharity.com/V2/richardgradidgetourdeforce
    Time VRS Pro-Team 08 – weekend steed
    Condor Moda - commute
    Scott something or other - manky old MTB
  • Follow the Tour of California (1,300km) then coast to coast across the USA (6,700km) then finish with the Cent Cols Challenge (2,000km). See www.thinkpinkcycling.com for details.
  • Monst
    Monst Posts: 26
    Forest of Dean to Portsmouth, then St Malo to Bezier..in 8 days

It may hurt a little...
  • Rawrrr
    Rawrrr Posts: 16
    I'm doing the London - Edinburgh this summer, with my school - In 7 days!
  • Hi

We've just booked our ferry from Portsmouth to Bilbao with P&O and will cycle back to St Malo 15 days later and camping all the way. Good hotel (Hotel Elizabeth) booked in St Malo for our last night - have stayed here before and can put bikes in locked garage across from the hotel. Mainly following the coast as this is where the campsites are and perhaps going through Bordeaux on the way. Just want to keep as flexible as possible and catch a train here and there to give us a much deserved rest day.

As it's the last time PO are doing this crossing from Portsmouth to Bilbao thought it best to go for it this year rather than waiting and cycling back from Santander.

Has anyone done this route before?

Soooo looking forward to it.