socks........

jonnyc2420
jonnyc2420 Posts: 557
edited November 2009 in MTB buying advice
Ive decided that i'm not a 'hardcore' as i used to be, and that my toes would be a lot happier snugly wrapped in some waterproof socks. found sealskinz which look ok, but wondered if anyone else has a reccomendation?
Falcon Sierra - 80's
Muddy Fox Courier - 80's
GT Palomar 90's
GT Zaskar LE - 90's
Cannondale k v 900 90's
Santa Cruz Bullit - now
Orange Evo 8 STOLEN 26/09/10
Orange P7 Pro
Lots of kites.

Comments

• Sealskinz are good- I can only comment on their normal waterproof socks- not the thermal ones.

They are waterproof, they are as warm as a good thick sock but no warmer, and they have a weird fit. I always wear a normal sock under them and this makes a pretty warm combo. A lot of people will say that you need to be careful not to let water in the top- this is true.
    Need to be carefull when washing / drying- don't get them hot

Overall, for £18ish they are a god buy imo. I've ordered some of the thermal mid calf ones which will hopefully be a bit warmer
  • I've just bought a pair of the thermal Sealskinz. I haven't had the chance to try them out yet, but they feel VERY weird on my feet when I tried them on! :o
    Winter: Moda Nocturne
    Road: Cervelo R3
    'Cross: Ridley X-Night
    Commuter: Genesis Day One
  • I got a pair of the mid sealskinz on fridy and will be puting thm through tere paces tomorrow.They do feel strange but I guess that will not be the case once riding (hope). I also got a pair of the mtb gloves which felt great but the little finger seems long!! I shall post my thoughts tomorrow.
    fly like a mouse, run like a cushion be the small bookcase!
  • Bikehawk
    Bikehawk Posts: 102
    +1 for Sealskinz, have mine for 12 months +, riding XC so lots of water etc and haven't gotten wet (yet!!!!). They were a little cold riding during the snow at the start of the year but not to bad. Fit feels a little weird at first but after a while on the bike you don't notice it.
  • DamonC
    DamonC Posts: 263
    I have some old Porelle which are very thick, warm and work very well. They feel uncomfortable until I put my shoe on and then they are great.

Put my foot in a puddle today and thought they'd let water through but it was just the change in temp :)
    Suffering from the light bike fat git syndrome.
  • i wear the same as blue chair

kept my feet nice and dry, just wear a pair of wooly socks underneath

andy
    anthem x with many upgrades
  • Those MVP's are a good price - thanks guys - glad i posted now ! :)
    Falcon Sierra - 80's
    Muddy Fox Courier - 80's
    GT Palomar 90's
    GT Zaskar LE - 90's
    Cannondale k v 900 90's
    Santa Cruz Bullit - now
    Orange Evo 8 STOLEN 26/09/10
    Orange P7 Pro
    Lots of kites.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I have the Sealskinz mid light socks I find they keep my feet dry but my toes get very cold. I now wear them with a pair of silk sock liners which helps a bit but I still get chilly toes. I think the only thing that will work for me is proper winter boots.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • I tried the Sealskins mids out today and wasnt that impressed. yes my feet were dry but I was sure they were causing circulation problems. my shoes are not the tightest fitting and I had to loosen them off a bit more after about an hour due to numb toes, They never come back to life for 20 mins after the ride. However when i put them on and put my shoes on I did give them a good tug up so tomorrow I shall just pop them on and leave them be. It was nice and strange to go through the deep bits of water and still have dry feet so hopefully it is just my dressing skills that let them down.
    fly like a mouse, run like a cushion be the small bookcase!
  • I find the normal Sealskinz a bit too thick,for my normal shoes which then creates problems with circulation and my feet and toes get cold.

Though they do a good job of keeping my feet dry,I find a pair of Helly Hansen merino wool socks keep my feet warmer.

I have ridden through fords before which have covered my shoes,with Sealskinz yet my feet have stayed dry,but the cooling effect of having sodden shoes,still makes my feet cold.

Sealskinz have bought out a new thinner version,with merino so would reccomend you give those a try rather than the older mid light version that I have.

I now use Endura MT500 overshoes and wool socks,and no longer get cold feet.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    iv never used sealskins socks, but i have used the gloves, and they are prtty phenominal, you can dunk your hand in ice cold water for 20mins, and not notice.
    I like bikes and stuff