Training on a business trip

neil²
neil² Posts: 337
edited December 2009 in Amateur race
Greetings,

I'm away on business for a few weeks next month and will have no bike or gym available.
Apart from running, do you have any tips for a no-kit-required training program to keep up the race fitness?

Comments

• core: Press Ups, sitiups, the plank. lunges, squats
  • milese
    milese Posts: 1,233
    When living out of hotels for a while I would go around the local gyms getting a free taster, with a view to signing up. Generally a spinning class and some time in the gym! They still post me letters trying to get me to sign up, even though my address is 130 miles away.

Maybe spend some extra time stretching and walking, to make the most of your lack of forced rest.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Are you sure there's no gym at the hotel?
    I'd just go out and do some steady state running, keep the CV up. :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    neil² wrote:
    Greetings,

I'm away on business for a few weeks next month and will have no bike or gym available.
    Apart from running, do you have any tips for a no-kit-required training program to keep up the race fitness?

If I go for a few days and it is in uk I take bike and rollers so if wet use rollers in hotel.
    If just for day or two I make sure hotel has a gym.
    If abroad, if over a week I take my bike.
    Most hotels have a gym.
    If not go for a run. or just relax a week or two this time of year with no training is not a worry
  • neil²
    neil² Posts: 337
    Most hotels have a gym.
    If not go for a run. or just relax a week or two this time of year with no training is not a worry

Thanks all - this is all helpful. I would usually do some spinning in the gym but I'm in Japan this time and so gyms are less common in hotels. As for time of year... there's still a lot of the 'cross season to come!

Has anyone tried the 'alternate hip thrusts' on http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/article/fitness-worth-the-weight-24094

I've not seen it before and it looks pretty good to me.
  • Tabata intervals- 8 rounds of 20secs exercise 10 secs rest with 1 min rest between different exercises

Body weight squats

Burpees

Push ups

Crunches

it will take around 20 mins and should be done at maximal effort, it hurts

If its a tall hotel 5 storeys plus, staircase intervals, run up and walk down til you can do no more

Check out www.crossfit.com
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    In my opinion the best bet for Japan is to do some running, roads and paths are pretty empty in many parts, especially week days early in the morning, as workers use the underground and tunnels to get to work, don't try to cycle as the road signs will be unreadable and it will be easy to get lost, most people will not have good english, and the address system is very confusing. I am assuming you are staying in one of the cities.