disc pad wear

cloudynights
cloudynights Posts: 351
edited November 2009 in MTB general
hi
just wondering how many rides your getting out of a set of disc pads in this wet and muddy weather at the moment.
if im lucky i get 3 rides out of my pads, i have formular ore brakes and have tried most brands of sintered pads i can find, they all last about the same even goodridge ones,now i just use cheap disco or superstar pads
ANDY
anthem x with many upgrades

Comments

• -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    You are probably not bedding the pads in properly before getting them crappy. If you don't they won't last as you are finding out because the mud chews the material up quickly. Bed them in and they will last a lot longer, mine have been on for months and they get wet and muddy everytime i go out.

To bed them in, around about 20 times for each brake separately, build up to a decent speed, say 20 mph and stop as sharply as you possibly can without locking the wheels.

Also what are you using ? Sintered or Organic pads?
  • I used to have the same problem when I rode on flat sandy trails and never heated the brakes up. Now, I only ride mountainous trails where I'm constantly working the brakes hard and heating them up and it seems the pads last ages. Just an observation.
  • -Liam- wrote:
    You are probably not bedding the pads in properly before getting them crappy. If you don't they won't last as you are finding out because the mud chews the material up quickly. Bed them in and they will last a lot longer, mine have been on for months and they get wet and muddy everytime i go out.

To bed them in, around about 20 times for each brake separately, build up to a decent speed, say 20 mph and stop as sharply as you possibly can without locking the wheels.

Also what are you using ? Sintered or Organic pads?

I been bedding them in,i do about 10 miles on road before i get to a off road track ,so a new set has plenty of stop start time
    i only use sintered pads in winter, they last for ages though through the summer
    andy
  • -liam-
    Yeah but 10 minutes on road before you hit a trail isn't going to bed em in? unless you are doing hard stop and starting all the way there. Its fking hard work to do it properly and by the time you get there you will feel like going home again.

Sintered are fine for the winter and you shoud be seeing a lot longer from them.
  • i cant do 10 miles in 10 minutes well not with the hills we have round here, but i can do 10 miles till i get to a off road track :lol:
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Must admit I get longer out of my pads than you do and I'm not that fussy about bedding them in either TBH. I guess we ride similar trails during the winter as I'm not that far south of you. Not sure what the answer is. I now use superstar sintered ones, took me awhile to realise why their other ones don't last very long :oops: .
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • -liam-
    i cant do 10 miles in 10 minutes well not with the hills we have round here, but i can do 10 miles till i get to a off road track :lol:

pmsl!

You are clearly hanging off your brakes far to much if you can't :lol:
  • -Liam- wrote:
    i cant do 10 miles in 10 minutes well not with the hills we have round here, but i can do 10 miles till i get to a off road track :lol:

pmsl!

You are clearly hanging off your brakes far to much if you can't :lol:

i can hear the mud grinding my pads away even when i dont brake :cry:
    all my riding is at night so i do need to brake more unless i crash :cry:
    i think its just the riding conditions where i go, during the summer i go on the same routes and pad wear is fine they last ages
  • I'm getting about 200miles out of a pair since things got muddy.

Having said that I had the dreaded metal on metal sound today- some older superstar pads decided to fall apart. Replaced with a sintered set. After the ride (very wet, very muddy, pretty gritty) they are already pretty scarred. Should last though
  • MrChrisP
    MrChrisP Posts: 321
    You could always do what some people do and just let them go to the dogs.

I've been rebuilding a Kona Scrap frame I bought a few months ago. It came with forks and a front brake, but when I started cleaning the bike I realised that the brakes were a little beyond saving:

SNV30213.jpg

DSCF0289.jpg

I like to look after my bike so nearly had kittens when I saw this :lol:
    Kona Stinky Six
    Kona Scrap
    Scott YZ4
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 2,086
    You can't be running organic/resin pads in this weather.

Get yourself some Goodridge Sintered. I get about 6-12 months out of a set, depending on whether I've been to france or not.
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    Man, I must be doing something seriously wrong here. I get about 2 years out of a set of Goodridge Red pads on my XC bike.
  • Man, I must be doing something seriously wrong here. I get about 2 years out of a set of Goodridge Red pads on my XC bike.

You must be going around the puddles or live somewhere with soft non-gritty mud!
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    Man, I must be doing something seriously wrong here. I get about 2 years out of a set of Goodridge Red pads on my XC bike.

You must be going around the puddles or live somewhere with soft non-gritty mud!

South Wales - So Afan and Cwmcarn trails. Also raced HONC, HTN, SITS and D2D.
  • Man, I must be doing something seriously wrong here. I get about 2 years out of a set of Goodridge Red pads on my XC bike.

South Wales - So Afan and Cwmcarn trails. Also raced HONC, HTN, SITS and D2D.

I guess the Goodridge Red pads are just good then!
  • stumpyjon wrote:
    Must admit I get longer out of my pads than you do and I'm not that fussy about bedding them in either TBH. I guess we ride similar trails during the winter as I'm not that far south of you. Not sure what the answer is. I now use superstar sintered ones, took me awhile to realise why their other ones don't last very long :oops: .

i ride around boulsworth hill burnley side is ok its just the trawden side which is a mud bath, lots of little footprints of wooly socks brigade, then they say we damage the ground more :wink:
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Had to change my front pads sat night because they almost on the metal after a gritty ride in the Lakes. The only pads I had to replace them with were some spare EBC resin pads that had about 2 dry rides on them.

Bedded them in properly riding up and down the road outside the B+B and went for another gritty Lakes splash this morning and they lasted 18 miles before they were down to the metal.

Just ordered a 4 pack of Superstar Sintered.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • CycloRos
    CycloRos Posts: 579
    It's just another slight annoyance of winter riding. Wet/Sandy/gritty trails plus resin pads will last about 5 minutes.

I'm running Superstar sintered pads at the moment and they've lasted two seriously muddy rides in the Peaks and Sherwood Pines. They will need replacing soon though.
    Current Rides -
    Charge Cooker, Ragley mmmBop, Haro Mary SS 29er
    Pics!