The wrong kit today

M6TTF
M6TTF Posts: 602
edited December 2009 in MTB general
Should have worn a wetsuit and taken a canoe!!! Never been so cold and yet for years. In hindsight shorts weren't the best idea lol. My waterproof jacket ain't waterproof and my porelle socks are well past their best. Took me ages to thaw out. On the plus side the first ride on my ghetto tubeless conv. Was trouble free :)

Comments

• missmarple
    missmarple Posts: 1,980
    Where did you go? The second I put my foot into a foot-deep puddle I became miserable for the entire ride of Bedgebury.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    My Porelles seem to have had it too. Got a new jacket on order after a rather damp ride a few weeks back. Wasn't too bad today, the rain wasn't that torrential so my old jacket kept the worst out. Gortex boots are the way to go though, nop good if it's lashing it down as the just fill up from the top but if you put a foot down in a puddle you stay nice and dry.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • I think my waterproof acted more as a water absorber today.... but then it is 7 years old... just needs re waterproofing :P

I've never been too fussed about wet feet, but I think i'll invest in some sealskins socks for starters :)
  • M6TTF
    M6TTF Posts: 602
    Just local - around macc forest area, up to the cat & fiddle, over to 3shires and down Cumberland brook. Managed to pick up another big dent in my downtube from a flying rock, taken all the paint off too! Well pissed :(
  • DamonC
    DamonC Posts: 263
    Very wet at Llandegla today and snow at the top.

My Porelle did well considering they are 10 years old. Didn't take enough dry gear for after the ride and had a rather soggy drive home, will take change of trousers next time :lol:
    Suffering from the light bike fat git syndrome.
  • DamonC wrote:
    Very wet at Llandegla today and snow at the top.

My Porelle did well considering they are 10 years old. Didn't take enough dry gear for after the ride and had a rather soggy drive home, will take change of trousers next time :lol:
    +1

I forgot a towel, spare shoes and keks :(
  • 77ric
    77ric Posts: 601
    bigbenj_08 wrote:

I've never been too fussed about wet feet, but I think i'll invest in some sealskins socks for starters :)

do it!

it doesn't matter how wet and cold you are if your feet are dry and warm you will never feel miserable, well thats how i think and i swear my my sealskins socks, got caught in some torrential rain last week while out soaked to the bone i was but my tootsies were all snug and dry 8) and that was with nike 6.0 oncores, so not exactly waterproof shoes.
    Fancy a brew?
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    benji you only do it once... i had to drive all the way home from the lakes comando stylee first time i took a trip up there never thought to take dry clothes. sat in wet shorts all the way home minuss the under kracks.. was going to go with no kecks and drive home in just a tee shirt and jumper and let it all hang out,,, but how do you explain that to the copper who pulls you over and asks you to get out the car. :oops:

always take a change of clothes now socks under kracks shoes ect...
  • Try biking a lightweight road bike in two feet of flood water with only the parapets on the bridge to guide you as I did in the 80's [the bike survived] Now have a Land Rover for bad weather