Peak District or Wharncliffe?

Mancunianfightingcat
Mancunianfightingcat Posts: 2,054
edited December 2009 in Routes
t'wife wants to go and coo at her friends baby over in Sheffield next weekend. It's my last weekend off this year so I want to go biking.
I like the Peaks and could easily keep myself busy for 3 hours or so. However, I've never been to Wharncliffe Woods and would like some info about it.

Is it a mud bath?
Are there any less extreme routes that don't require Peaty's balls of steel?
I believe it's not too well marked, but I do have GPS so that's not too worrying.
Would I enjoy this route map?

I do enjoy a bit of air time but nothing too extreme!
(I like Innerliethen Make or Brake and the Stainburn routes, but anything over that would be a bit too much)

Cheers

Comments

• Hi
    I have been to Wharncliffe woods once but didnt like it to much badly marked out which doesnt really make it as enjoyable as it should be, think it would be good if someone took you round who know's the course which is what I thought at the time.
    It was quite bad in places for mud and it was summer time when I went, so now as its been raining for the last 2 weeks it will be bad. But then each to their own you might love it.
    Happy riding.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Avoid wharney in owt other than drought conditions.Its 10 mins ride away from me and i've been twice this year.The DHs are usually ok but hard to find as non are marked.The "new"very short XC route is a mud bath at the best of times,after all the rain it'll be a bog.There's loads of singletrack but all the good stuff(when dry) is hidden and you could just spend hours riding fireroads and miss it all
    Just viewed your route map and apart from the fireroads and the bit along Wharncliffe crags the rest will be a mudbath.Your route also goes close to,but misses out,all the DHs
  • Cheers, looks like a trip to LadyBower then!
  • mingmong
    mingmong Posts: 542
    +1 for the Peak.

I'm a reggy up there and at the moment it's very heavy on the best routes. At the moment we're sticking to the fireroads and dryer climbs.

Having said that, I turned back from Cut Gate on Thursday as that was a bog.

Friggin weather!
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    MingMong wrote:
    +1 for the Peak.
    Having said that, I turned back from Cut Gate on Thursday as that was a bog.

We've ridden Cutgate in all conditions this year,everytime its different and everytime is good 8) The absolute worst i've ever seen it was in the monsoons of 2007......it was still fun though 8)