Forum home Road cycling forum The bottom bracket

Winter rant coming! ( EDIT: Over it, now!)

hopper1hopper1 Posts: 4,389
edited November 2009 in The bottom bracket
F8ck!...
Twice today I have got changed, ready for a bike ride and both times the heavens have opened just as I was fastening my shoes :evil: :evil:
I checked the sky, too, it wasn't that gloomy...
As I write this, the sky seems to be clearing, I can see blue up there!
Just had a light lunch, so may try yet again, soon... :wink:

Desperate to avoid my turbo

EDIT: Finished rant, got changed, went out and did a brisk 35 miler. :wink:
It rained on the outward leg, then as I started to head for home, the Sun came out and it was a glorious ride bike.

No turbo for me, today!
:D:D
Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!

Posts

  • AndsAnds Posts: 1,437
    hopper1 wrote:

    No turbo for me, today! [/color] :D:D
    Lucky you. Got soaked taking kids to park this morning, came home got warm, hasn't stopped raining so resorted to the turbo. Out of 5h 40m exercise this week, have managed 90 min out on the road :roll: (and got soaked then too). Roll on summer!
  • BhimaBhima Posts: 2,145
    Well I did 7 hours 45 minutes in the rain today with windchill on my hands from wet gloves the entire time. :|

    Actually couldn't move my fingers enough to brake on a descent at one point. :shock:

    I usually have a spare pair of (better) gloves for emergencies, but didn't bring them on the one day I actually needed them. Great. :roll:

    So i'm the opposite - i'll love a turbo session right about now!
  • nicensleazynicensleazy Posts: 2,310
    Get the turbo out!
  • Bhima wrote:
    Well I did 7 hours 45 minutes in the rain today with wind chill on my hands from wet gloves the entire time. :|

    Actually couldn't move my fingers enough to brake on a descent at one point. :shock:

    I usually have a spare pair of (better) gloves for emergencies, but didn't bring them on the one day I actually needed them. Great. :roll:

    So I'm the opposite - i'll love a turbo session right about now!

    Nearly 8 hours in this weather ? :shock:
  • iain_jiain_j Posts: 1,941
    I keep buying myself more and more kit that will allow me to go out in all weathers - waterproof jacket, overshoes, brake pads that work better when wet, warmer clothing .... but when it comes to it, I still wimp out when there's rain on the windows :lol:
  • volvicspar wrote:
    Bhima wrote:
    Well I did 7 hours 45 minutes in the rain today with wind chill on my hands from wet gloves the entire time. :|

    Actually couldn't move my fingers enough to brake on a descent at one point. :shock:

    I usually have a spare pair of (better) gloves for emergencies, but didn't bring them on the one day I actually needed them. Great. :roll:

    So I'm the opposite - i'll love a turbo session right about now!

    Nearly 8 hours in this weather ? :shock:

    I call shenanigans :wink:
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

    PTP Runner Up 2015
  • hopper1hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    iain_j wrote:
    I keep buying myself more and more kit that will allow me to go out in all weathers - waterproof jacket, overshoes, brake pads that work better when wet, warmer clothing .... but when it comes to it, I still wimp out when there's rain on the windows :lol:

    +1
    I've got all the kit, and, if it rains while I'm out, I don't care, I just plug on, regardless...
    But, going out in the rain?... No way! Unless it's light. :oops:
    Ands wrote:
    Lucky you. Got soaked taking kids to park this morning, came home got warm, hasn't stopped raining so resorted to the turbo. Out of 5h 40m exercise this week, have managed 90 min out on the road (and got soaked then too). Roll on summer!

    Wow... That's 4h 10m on a turbo!... :shock: You have my sympathies, Ands, that's got to be hard work...
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • mrushtonmrushton Posts: 5,182
    Out with the fixed,2 x punctures,got v. wet :x ,g/friend kicked my a***e on the bike :(
    M.Rushton
  • AndsAnds Posts: 1,437
    hopper1 wrote:
    Wow... That's 4h 10m on a turbo!... :shock: You have my sympathies, Ands, that's got to be hard work...
    No not quite! 2 turbo sessions & twice to the gym. I don't think I'm ready to relinquish my gym membership for more turbo sessions just yet! :?
  • hopper1hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Ands wrote:
    hopper1 wrote:
    Wow... That's 4h 10m on a turbo!... :shock: You have my sympathies, Ands, that's got to be hard work...
    No not quite! 2 turbo sessions & twice to the gym. I don't think I'm ready to relinquish my gym membership for more turbo sessions just yet! :?

    Oh, and there was I, feeling sorry for you... :?
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • volvicspar wrote:
    Bhima wrote:
    Well I did 7 hours 45 minutes in the rain today with wind chill on my hands from wet gloves the entire time. :|

    Actually couldn't move my fingers enough to brake on a descent at one point. :shock:

    I usually have a spare pair of (better) gloves for emergencies, but didn't bring them on the one day I actually needed them. Great. :roll:

    So I'm the opposite - i'll love a turbo session right about now!

    Nearly 8 hours in this weather ? :shock:

    I call shenanigans :wink:

    Indeed. Doubtless these miles will have been covered at a 20mph average witha bout 2500 metres of climbing at a cadence of 200+ and with the consumption of 350 'nanas.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

    @gietvangent
  • AggieboyAggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Bhima wrote:
    Well I did 7 hours 45 minutes in the rain today with windchill on my hands from wet gloves the entire time. :|

    Actually couldn't move my fingers enough to brake on a descent at one point. :shock:

    I usually have a spare pair of (better) gloves for emergencies, but didn't bring them on the one day I actually needed them. Great. :roll:

    So i'm the opposite - i'll love a turbo session right about now!


    If they're better,why don't you wear them in the first place :?:
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • BhimaBhima Posts: 2,145
    Because they had just been in the washing machine and were still wet. My other gloves started out dry but got a LOT wetter than the ones at home so, In hindsight, they would have been the better choice for a long ride despite thier initial state.

    It was a Manchester Wheelers club ride which got a bit out of control - as we went further into the hills, it got wetter and colder with the roads eventually turning into rivers. :shock: Taking my gloves off was actually better, although the cold temperatures of my steel tape-less handlebars were brutal.

    Left the house at 9am and arrived back at 4pm. No cafe stop to warm up either. :?
  • hopper1hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Bhima wrote:
    Because they had just been in the washing machine and were still wet. My other gloves started out dry but got a LOT wetter than the ones at home so, In hindsight, they would have been the better choice for a long ride despite thier initial state.

    It was a Manchester Wheelers club ride which got a bit out of control - as we went further into the hills, it got wetter and colder with the roads eventually turning into rivers. :shock: Taking my gloves off was actually better, although the cold temperatures of my steel tape-less handlebars were brutal.

    Left the house at 9am and arrived back at 4pm. No cafe stop to warm up either. :?

    Bhima, I think you missed the point... :roll: In your previous post you stated that your spare gloves were a better pair. So, if they are better, why not wear them as normal wear and keep your other less better gloves for emergencies?

    There's also a 45 minute difference in the two quotes for the ride that you did :shock: ...
    Bhima wrote:
    Well I did 7 hours 45 minutes in the rain today.

    I usually have a spare pair of (better) gloves for emergencies, but didn't bring them on the one day I actually needed them. Great.
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • There's a lad in our team who never wears gloves. He is literally rock hard.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

    PTP Runner Up 2015
  • BhimaBhima Posts: 2,145
    hopper1 wrote:
    There's also a 45 minute difference in the two quotes for the ride that you did :shock: ...

    Did 45 minutes on rollers outside to warm up before venturing off. :wink:
  • hopper1hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Bhima wrote:
    hopper1 wrote:
    There's also a 45 minute difference in the two quotes for the ride that you did :shock: ...

    Did 45 minutes on rollers outside to warm up before venturing off. :wink:
    So you where outside on rollers, in the rain?
    Please don't tell me you had wind chill for those 45 mins :shock:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • BhimaBhima Posts: 2,145
    No, that's the point - it was clear and actually sunny initially which is why I didn't bother with the other gloves. :| Wind chill on rollers would be pretty bloody hard. :lol:
  • F.O.S
    There is never redemption, any fool can regret yesterday...

    Be Pure! Be Vigilant! Behave!
Sign In or Register to comment.