Turbo-specific tyres..?

jimmcdonnell
jimmcdonnell Posts: 328
edited November 2009 in Road beginners
Reading a couple of threads recently and looking at the pics of folks' turbo dungeons, I'm not seeing a lot of turbo trainer tyres, as far as I can tell - do you just plonk your bike on with its regular road tyre or not? Second turbo bike? Spare rear wheel with shreddable tyre?
Winter's coming on fast, I'm interested to know what everyone does...
Litespeed Tuscany, Hope/Open Pro, Ultegra, pulling an Extrawheel trailer, often as not.

FCR 4 (I think?)
Twitter: @jimjmcdonnell

Comments

• I never bother with a specific tyre. I just use the one I've used outside all year then replace it in the spring when it's time to go outside again.
    Not been a problem so far :D
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    +1
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Interesting, and very faff-reducing.

So stuff along the lines of 'turbos shred tyres' is a bit of a myth then?
    Litespeed Tuscany, Hope/Open Pro, Ultegra, pulling an Extrawheel trailer, often as not.

FCR 4 (I think?)
    Twitter: @jimjmcdonnell
  • fjellrunner
    fjellrunner Posts: 64
    edited November 2009
    I think it is. They get cut up and skidded on outside so as long as you don't brake on the turbo they'll last all winter. Always have in my experience.
    I use Conti GP if that helps.
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    A turbo will wear your tyres, but if it's an old one anyway, you might not be that bothered. I do use a conti trainer tyre as it is quieter, but it can be a faff changing tyres if you've not got a dedicated turbo wheel.
    Don't do what I did a few years back and use a regular tyre on the turbo all winter, then head out to a reliability ride in Feb on the same tyre. You can guess what happened.
  • oxoneil
    oxoneil Posts: 147
    If you can see it in my picture you will see the tyre is bright orange. It's made by Continental and is a "turbo only" tyre. I've never had any problems with t.
  • Got a Kurt Kinetic last week and have just bought a cheapo rear wheel from Chain reaction and a compatible cassette...I have also bought a Vittoria training tyre and inner tube from Wiggle......Don't want to use my Road tyre as I still intend to cycle outside over the winter when weather permits and the road will be slippy enough without using a worn tyre!
    17 Stone down to 12.5 now raring to get back on the bike!
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I've never used a turbo specific tire. Sounds to me like another solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Bear in mind that I can't really tolerate much more than an hour / hour and a half on a trainer without losing my mind.
  • +1 just use up old tyres. The turbo does wear tyres quite quickly IME, but who cares with old tyres...
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Does depend how much turboing you are doing - a turbo tyre would be best for tyre wear and less noise, but would you pay for that ?

If you dont have a spare wheel - then who would be faffed to change tyres ?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I use Vittoria Zaffiros. Got them cheap, and found them awful on the road, easily punctured and no grip.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr