Telegraph: Cycle lights

downfader
downfader Posts: 3,686
edited November 2009 in Commuting chat
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/active/66599 ... ights.html

I kind of agree with him tbh. I do wonder if he'll report on any bad incidents he might encounter with motorists, or if he might perceive it as normal therefore acceptable, given that his view is to lump us all under one umbrella? :?

Incidentally I made a video on cycle lights tonight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2yUaSHrbjc not quite as interesting obviously. :lol:

Comments

• ooh he did look wobbly didn't he.
  • downfader
    ooh he did look wobbly didn't he.

I know. Atleast he did the right thing and went for a practice on a quiet road with some instruction.
  • Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    Agree with him 100%. Just because we're cyclists doesn't give us a devine right to be one the road. And because we're a vunerable road user doesn't mean we should expect immunity from the law. In a perfect world everyone would adhere to road traffic law. BUT this isn't a perfect world. Our roads are made up of alot of bad motorists and bad cyclists. We see it everyday.
  • Big Wib
    Big Wib Posts: 363
    could have done with less of his face and more looking foward as not sure what happened to support the comments.

Still fairplay to him for getting out & doing it although I agree he did look horribly wobbly - worse than my kids :lol:
  • Gilbie
    Gilbie Posts: 99
    Good vid of the light BTW - great piece of kit. Went for the Enduro version last year, must be a strange physiological thing but I don't feel safe on the roads without one now. Use mine for mainly off road riding. Only thing I don't like about them is if you crash. During a night race I came off and had to get the allen keys out to realign.
  • downfader
    Gilbie wrote:
    Good vid of the light BTW - great piece of kit. Went for the Enduro version last year, must be a strange physiological thing but I don't feel safe on the roads without one now. Use mine for mainly off road riding. Only thing I don't like about them is if you crash. During a night race I came off and had to get the allen keys out to realign.

I so nearly went for the top model with the battery pack. Just for the bling, LMAO!! They are really good, but the 2010 models look even better.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    edited November 2009
    Tonymufc wrote:
    Agree with him 100%. Just because we're cyclists doesn't give us a devine right to be one the road. And because we're a vunerable road user doesn't mean we should expect immunity from the law. In a perfect world everyone would adhere to road traffic law. BUT this isn't a perfect world. Our roads are made up of alot of bad motorists and bad cyclists. We see it everyday.

+1

He should have gone to a decent LBS rather than HAl£fords look at the set up of his bike;

I didn't see much in the way of lights on and the reflector looks to be tucked out of the way under the saddle, easily obscured.

he's either not using the toe clips; dangerous as they could catch on the ground in a corner and take him off, or the straps are way too long and could catch into his chain and front mech.

It's not those with experience that are the menace any more than novices on bikes that are likely to catch or snag something and sent him out of control without the experience to save it before he's planted on the road with a truck rolling at him.

I fear this is an ill thought out publicity stunt or a deliberate set up to prove cycling is crap, He's gone for the bare minimum to make a point rather than get himself properly trained and confident on the bike to an adequate standard before letting himself loose on central London after 20-30 years of never being on a bike. I hope he's got a donor card, he's roadkill waiting to happen.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Tonymufc wrote:
    Agree with him 100%. Just because we're cyclists doesn't give us a devine right to be one the road. ....

Well I don't. Regardless of where the right comes from, as taxpaying members of the public we all have a right to be able to use a public highway, whether on foot, horse, carriage or bicycle.
    What we do not have is a right to operate a motor vehicle on it- that is a privilege and you need a (revocable) license to do so, as well as being an adult and passing a test, of course (and needing to ensure your vehicle is roadworthy, paying a tax on it, carrying liability insurance and so on...). This is something that often seems to be forgotten.

Mr Millward is clearly new to cycling and his perspective currently seems to be as a non-cyclist. It'll be interesting to see if his position changes as he gains more experience.
    Having said that, I'm not defending illegal cycling, I just don't think he comes across as well-informed on the matter, as yet.

Cheers,
    W.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    I still consider myself a newbie after 14 months and I was horrified that he was allowed on the road after only a few minutes. Unused toeclips seemed to be an accident waiting to happen, but maybe he did actually use them on the journey. It would have been better if he'd had a cycle trainer provided via the local council for that clip. It would reinforce the need for cycle training, especially if it's free or heavily subsidised.

Touch wood for vehicles but bashing other cyclists? :roll:
  • As a long time cyclist I get mad at those who constantly break the law by crossing through red lights which is akin to sticking your finger up to the motorist who sits waiting for them to change.Also cycling without lights and expecting to be seen! If cars behaved like many cyclists it would be mahem. I had my toe run over by a cyclist when I was crossing a pelican crossing which had a green man.He went through the red light at speed and was so close to a nasty accident! I think I am more worried about being hit by an idiot cyclist than a white van in town these days!!! I like to ride fast, but I will always consider that some cyclists are less confident and so need to be passed with care. We must remember we can't be heard!!!! We use our ears to listen for passing cars, when a cyclist burns passed it can take you by suprise? So us cyclists all need to behave with respect to all others that share the road, cars, horses, pedestrians and cyclists and then hopefully we can get the respect back before this bad feeling gets too engrained!!!
    :(
    Trek Emonda and Kiron Scandium on the road and Cube ltd Team for the rest .Also a retired Holdsworth Professional. Love Cycling!!
  • downfader
    Well it seems comments aren't being processed there. Tempted to email him to ask if he's considered a little more training such as Bikeability. :?
  • Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    Going off the subject slightly. I've just read your blog. Great job. A real good read. (it did take a while though). With regards to the driver of the car in the video. He did survive. I was shown the same video on a HGV CPC driver traing course I attended last week. He was a taxi driver and the firm had placed cameras in the cabs to stop the drivers thieving the money. A good reason why you should wear your seatbelt.
  • downfader
    Tonymufc wrote:
    Going off the subject slightly. I've just read your blog. Great job. A real good read. (it did take a while though). With regards to the driver of the car in the video. He did survive. I was shown the same video on a HGV CPC driver traing course I attended last week. He was a taxi driver and the firm had placed cameras in the cabs to stop the drivers thieving the money. A good reason why you should wear your seatbelt.

Me..?

:shock: :D

I just rambled on tbh. One of the guys on the tog forums I used to be on called me "Mr Judgement" :lol: