www.bikeregister.com

The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
edited November 2009 in MTB general
To deter bike thieves/track your frame

https://www.bikeregister.com/index.htm

Im getting the Sanction and Marin done asap.

Comments

• sounds like a good idea!
    92% of teenagers have turned to rap. If your one of the 8% that still listens to real music put this in your sig

Walk (Ride) softly and carry a big fish

Yay, 100 hundred posts :-)
  • colintrav
    colintrav Posts: 1,074

https://www.bikeregister.com/index.htm

Im getting the Sanction and Marin done asap.

That Idea isn't new by any standards the Police used to stamp your postcade at the base of the crank
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 2,086

But mostly to turn a profit.
  • colintrav wrote:
    That Idea isn't new by any standards the Police used to stamp your postcade at the base of the crank

You mean the BB shell :wink: And it's not just that, you get a transponder that you slide down into the seatube that cannot be removed that has a specific signal for your bike. God, Im 36 and remember getting my BMX done back in the 80s, things have moved on since then.

That's far too cynical for me Alex. It proves ownership of the frame, once/if found it can be scanned to prove it's yours. The stickers cannot be removed without fucking the frame painjob up. And it will 'deter' a thief, not that I leave my bike anywhere, but if my property is burgled. Why do all top end motor bikes come with it then if such a waste of time?

If I have just spent £3+k on a bike I am not going to moan about spending another £20 - C'mon, it's peanuts! :shock:
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Meh, if my bikes nicked, this is only useful if it's found again. Which it probably won't be. And as long as the person found with it says he bought it from a bloke at the pub, it's not really a deterrent.

I've got insurance, I've said it before, if my bike is taken by some stinky scrote, I don't want it back, I'll get a new one to replace it.

Sentiment is overrated.......
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Not when you have a one of a kind frame that you can't replace it ain't :wink:
  • smells like sh1t to me
  • another witty comment I see.... :roll:

I don't think I have ever seen you post anything positive, are you a manic depressive or something!!?
  • would you rather i give an honest opinion or just go round bullsh**ing folk?
  • bails87
    Not when you have a one of a kind frame that you can't replace it ain't :wink:

If it's a one of a kind then why do you need the tag thing to identify it? :wink:

And Rapid_uphill, why exactly does it smell?!
    MTB/CX

• bails87 wrote:
    Not when you have a one of a kind frame that you can't replace it ain't :wink:

If it's a one of a kind then why do you need the tag thing to identify it? :wink:

And Rapid_uphill, why exactly does it smell?!

LOL, true, I would know if it was my frame, but I would need to prove that.

If it is stolen then recovered, it comes down to ownership proof, and it doesn't always come in favour of the owner. Not all receipts have the frame number on them. With the unique transponder/members card/logbook and all the other bumf you can, then the scumbag can get nicked. It's a sad world we live in.
  • bails87
    Fair enough, you're in a bit of a unique situation I suppose. If there was any doubt that the bike was mine, so the police didn't want to take it off whoever was now in possession of it, I'd be annoyed that they'd nicked it and got to keep it. But at the same time, I'd have my crime reference number, so I'd get a brand new replacement.

Rapid: that's the same thing, if you get the transponder kit, which Cheese is.
    MTB/CX

• I used them on my 2 previous Marins, same principal. Registration and a transponder. Cheaper too!!!

I think that if you paid that so that the theiving scum couldn't say "It's mine copper" - it's worth every penny ;)
  • sorry i was thinking of the £5 register and log book only, which i think is a waste of time.
    if your gonna do it you might as well get the datatag.
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    wot would be really useful is a location tracker to find the bike once stolen
    is such a thing available for bikes ?
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    edit above ; if its available for cars , why not for bikes ?
    the technology is available to do it.
  • colintrav
    colintrav Posts: 1,074
    colintrav wrote:

You mean the BB shell :wink: And it's not just that, you get a transponder that you slide down into the seatube that cannot be removed that has a specific signal for your bike. God, Im 36 and remember getting my BMX done back in the 80s, things have moved on since then.

That's far too cynical for me Alex. It proves ownership of the frame, once/if found it can be scanned to prove it's yours. The stickers cannot be removed without ******* the frame painjob up. And it will 'deter' a thief, not that I leave my bike anywhere, but if my property is burgled. Why do all top end motor bikes come with it then if such a waste of time?

If I have just spent £3+k on a bike I am not going to moan about spending another £20 - C'mon, it's peanuts! :shock:

Just for talking sake , A bike that has been electronically tagged is stolen ,,,

The person stealing it will have no idea unless the person is an oppertunist or in most cases pro most are stolen by professional on a basis of stolen to Order and sold on

And the person buying isn't really going to ask questions of where it came in especially when most bikes are stolen simply for there parts because the parts are easier to get rid of than a whole bike ..

What with the excessive prices for some gear .. Most Gangs operate on that principal and you would even be surprised that some gear actually ends up being sold in certain shop's and markets stalls , car boot sales ..

In the end there is no point tagging the frame if every other part isn't tagged which in the end will cost you a fortune to get done , and imo it's more cost effective to have a bike fitted with a tracker ,,,

And anything that has value it will be stolen ,,j
  • bails87
    An actual GPS tracker, like in a car, would be difficult on a bike because of the lack of power source. And adding a KG of tracker and batteries on a car doesn't make any difference, whereas doing that on a super lightweight frame would probably be quite unpopular, seeing as part of the reason expensive bikes are so expensive is because so much work has gone into making the frame light. If all of a sudden it's heavy so that it's less likely to get nicked, you might as well spent less on the bike, so it's heavier, but also less likely to get nicked because it's less desirable.
    MTB/CX