Boardman - Team or Pro Carbon?

Ash of LE
Ash of LE Posts: 2
edited November 2009 in Road buying advice
Looking to upgrade my Giant SCR for something a bit more speedy.
Cant decide on the Team or the Pro.
Is the Pro worth the extra 600 quid for an extra pound?
Also heard some horror stories about the wheels on the team, has this cleared up now and did it also affect the Pro?
Also a bit concerned about the level of service from the kids working at Halfords.
Any advice or comments would be appreciated.
Cheers
Ash

Comments

• rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    i think the servicers will have had a kick up the backside by now. surely its not difficult for you to do. i read on here that spoke problems were the wheel building machine wasnt setup properly. no reports lately and mine seem fine.they are actually cervelo developed wheels. and ive read as many worse problems with the wcs wheels on other bikes that are fitted to the pro.mainly rims developing hairline cracks around the spoke holes, albeit after a fair mileage. unless you are a pro i dont think you will notice much difference. the team is excellent, + with the 600 you save you could buy a set of wheels later, although now i dont think its necessary.
  • +1 for the above.

The bikes now arrive virtually fully built at Halfords so just a bit of finishing for them to do, apparently. However, the team carbon I test rode seemed like it needed a bit more than just handle bar straightening etc. But, the set up on the one I did test ride was spot on.

The spoke problem has been sorted from what I've been told, but the mechs at the Halfords I'm getting my bike from are aware of it and I'll be checking each individual spoke before leaving the store.

I've not used SRAM Force so cannot comment on the difference in quality/shifting between it and Rival, but I suspect that it will be negligable and the weight saving between the two, also negligable.

The big difference is between the carbon weave, T700 on the team, compared to T800 on the Pro. However, the Team got 10/10 when reviewed, whereas the Pro didn't so, although I'm limited to buying the Team as C2W voucher only goes as high as £1,000 if it was my own cash, I think I'd still buy the Team and speaks some of the £600 left on wheels and carbon finishing kit and still have some to spare.

Just MHO and I am desperate for the Ltd Ed Team Carbon to arrive in the next couple of weeks so I can get back out there.

In relation to Halfords themselves, I seem to have found one with knowledgeable staff and will see why the set up on my bike is like and how it rides before deciding whether to let them near it for the free 6 week service. However, after that I'll be using my LBS for all the servicing until I get competent enough myself to do it and be happy with it.
    Limited Edition Boardman Team Carbon No. 448
    Boardman MTB Team
  • Team and Dura ace wheels? or some P-X carbons.

And some change..Thats my plan
  • Do you want a double 53/39 chainset or a compact 50/34 one? Chainsets are quite expensive to change, esp. with BB30, and there aren't that many complete bikes under £2k with a double.

Otherwise, yes, £600 could be viewed as pricey for the weight you save but it will be much more expensive to save it later if you decide it matters. Force is better finished than Rival and better wheels is usually money well spent. Not that I have ridden either bike.
  • id get the pro.

For the bb30, double chainset, its lighter, ever so slightly better carbon weave in the frame, i think looks better with the yellow detailing, and theSRAM force looks nicer than rival. Thats 600 quid more well spent i think. in time anyway youll want to then buy a bike thats more expensive and better. So cut to the chase and buy the more expensive one now, and just ride it more. :D
    “If you worried about falling off the bike, you’d never get on.”

@mattbeedham
  • daveb
    daveb Posts: 4,137
    I have the team and think it is very good, not had any problems with the wheels after about 6 months of use. Never ridden the Pro though.

Sometimes it would be nice have the larger chainrings, the compact setup can mean spinning out at times.
    Daveb
  • Gav888
    Gav888 Posts: 946
    I nearly bought a pro having seen both in halfords, better group set and looks that bit more special. But you can also get a team on C2W for alot less than a pro and upgrade it ....
    Cycling never gets any easier, you just go faster - Greg LeMond
  • From the feedback from boardman owners the team seems to be the favourite, very quick and responsive and unlike the pro its comfortable, pro is a full on race machine, quick yes but after a few hrs you know about it.

They are both priced and specced well so whichever you go for get the one that best suits your requirements, 40-50mile chaingangs the pro, all days rides the team.

atb

Dave