Air to coil rock shox lyrik conversion ADVICE PLEASE

xone
xone Posts: 71
edited November 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
Ahoy

I have some 2008 rock shox lyriks 2 step air forks. To not put to much a finer point on it they are shite at the moment. I've had issues after about 6 months of owning them and I've had them fixed twice on warranty now. Both times sram took over 4 weeks to sort out what was basiclly and O-ring. The issue I have now is that I've lost about 2 inchs of travel in them, they only extend to just over the 115mm mark on the stanchion.

Anyway, my question is this, now the warranty time has passed and I now have to pay for them to be fixed would it be worth converting them to a coil fork? I know I'd lose the 2-step function, but I've never really used it so it wouldn't be a big loss. And changing the air spring to and actual spring would then stop this problem ever rising again.

I've hared of sram disihng out a conversion kit for people as a warrant fix or just fixing the air spring, I know I'd have to pay for it but at least it'll be and issue fix properly. The forks are on a Cube Fritzz and I mainly use the bike for freeriding and some DH, Basiclly It's an all mountiain rig that I've tweaked a bit. What are peoples thoughts?

Many thanks.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so what are you asking?

yes get the coil kit, maybe get the coil u-turn.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • xone
    xone Posts: 71
    Is it worth getting the conversion done or would it be wiser to keep the air spring?
  • Phone TFtuned and see what they can do for you?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    the air is lighter and easier to tune for your weight.

coil is said to be plusher

it depends what you want but i did have a very brief talk with the main man at tftuned who told me that his preffered long fork was a coil lyrik at the tme.
  • my 2-steps constantly lost travel and I also had the long delay of having them fixed under warranty, several times

after the 3rd failure, I asked SRAM to replace the 2-step with coil u-turn under warranty, and problem solved

if they are out of warranty (2 years on Rockshox) then send them to TF Tuned Shox to have the coil u-turn installed as it will be done 100% and quickly!
    Call 01372 476 969 for more information on UK\'s leading freeride park - Esher Shore www.eshershore.com