cold feet

reddevilcuberider
reddevilcuberider Posts: 41
edited November 2009 in Road buying advice
COLD FEET

Please Please can somenoe give me a solution for getting rid of cold feet, was out this morning and couldn`t feel my toes by the time i got in. Was wearing cycling shoes thermal socks and overshoes but still freezing, any suggestions???? :cry::cry:

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    If your shoes are a bit tight with the thermal socks then that can cause cold feet.

De Feet Woolie Boolie socks are supposed to be good for cold feet sufferers. Are your overshoes the thick neoprene type?

This is my first winter with some proper winter cycling boots (Northwave Celsius) and they make a huge difference as I used to struggle with cold feet as well even with merino socks and neoprene overshoes.
    More problems but still living....
  • I got a new pair of bbb overshoes with the fleece lining especially to protect against cold but no joy. I will have a look at these woolie boolie socks.
    Thanks for advice
  • Like you, I seemed to suffer from freezing feet whatever I tried. Then I discovered Sealskinz Mid Thermal Socks: http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/cycle-clo ... -sock.html

Best £25 I ever spent :D

Combine them with overshoes and your feet WILL stay warm!
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    imo the Sealskinz mid-thermals are not as good as Woolie Boolies with shoes/boots one size larger, creating 'warm air space'. Footwear which is tight will result in cold feet.
  • Rapha Winter weight merino wool socks, with windproof overshoes work really well for me
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • Picked up some safety boot socks in Screwfix yesterday, nice and toasty.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    I wear Horizon or Bridgedale wool walking socks, and yes - don't over tighten the shoes. Tend to be up to 15 quid a pair. Sealskinz are also good, but personally I dont wear them - know a couple of walkers who have though.
  • Cold feet, ahh the cyclists winter woe, you dont mention if you were wearing leggings, if not that is partly the problem, remember that your feet are the furthest limbs from the heart, on cold days the body will find it much harder to pump blood to the feet and it will concentrate on keeping the torso and head warm, therefore get yourself a really good pair of leggings to help keep the circulation going to your feet, no matter what you put on your feet it wont make any difference if your legs get cold.

Apply the same principal for your hands, keep your arms warm.

If too hot you can remove items, but when the cold gets to you its too late.

atb

Dave
  • Tight shoes will do it everytime. Can`t expect your normal summer type shoes to be a proper fit with thicker socks IMHO. I`ve just bought another pair of cycling shoes one size larger than normal, to accomodate thicker socks (I use the Sealskinz mid lights, they are good)
    Jens says "Shut up legs !! "

Specialized S-Works SaxoBank SL4 Tarmac Di2
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    Definitely check that your shoes are not too tight.

Otherwise +1 for Woolie Boolies. I used to really suffer from cold feet, but Woolie Boolies have sorted this out completely. Even if they get wet, they stay warm. :)
  • ajb72
    ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    I tried this combo on Saturday and my feet were toastie;

Rapha Merino Wool socks (on offer at the moment by the way)
    Specialized shoes with ventilation holes on soles covered with electricians tape
    Assos oversocks
    Endura water/windproof overshoes.

All nice and snug, but still room for the toes to move!
  • Stellite
    Stellite Posts: 544
    I use SIDI goretex boots with Prendas Overshoes. Sock wise Bridgedale walking socks are fine for me (on offer 2 for 1 in Blacks at the mo)
  • Thanks for all the advice i know what to ask Santa for now, :lol:
  • richara3
    richara3 Posts: 153
    http://www.overstock.com/Clothing-Shoes ... oduct.html

Ive not tried them myself. they also do toe warmers..

Andy
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    I've said it before and i wont say it again, Northwave Fahrenheit :wink:
  • leedsmjh
    leedsmjh Posts: 196
    Cold feet used to be my bug-bear too. I have Reynaulds so I mean really cold and numb

The combination of merino/possum fur socks, winter type MTB boots and neoprene overshoes would only keep them ok for about an hour. I thought I was going to have to give up on long rides in winter ...

and then I discovered Toasti-toes (disposable chemical foot warmers) and now I don't have cold feet problems

You can get them at Cotswold stores