Totally converted

Brian1
Brian1 Posts: 595
edited November 2009 in Road buying advice
Just been out for a 40 miler using Record 11 for the first time after having ridden Durace for several years and the difference between the two groupsets is unreal.I love the ' click' when you change gear and the change is so smooth.The shape of the hoods is so comfortable .I really am impressed.So happy with it I just had to share it!!!

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    ..and I hope you're going to keep it tucked away, nice clean and warm until the spring whre you get the chance to enjoy your bike in some sunshine?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    i think he fitted it to his winter bike to save the good stuff.
  • Brian1
    Brian1 Posts: 595
    Yes Monty I just had to take it out for a run today as it was dry and cold but its now in the garage until summer
  • giosblue
    giosblue Posts: 132
    "In the garage"

Whats wrong with the bedroom :shock:
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    giosblue wrote:
    "In the garage"

Whats wrong with the bedroom :shock:

+1 much better place imo
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Congrats on the new groupset.

I used to have more humble veloce on my bike which I really liked for the connected feeling the gear change provided and the much greater logic of the finger to change up; thumbs to change down to smaller cogs front and back.

I have had dura ace for the last 2-3 years and have never really warmed to its much more anodyne/ remote feel.

My major qualification though is that I have never had to so much as adjust a single screw - it works as perfectly today as when I first got it. The same could not be said of the veloce.

Any views out there on whether there is a reliability difference between campag and shimano or if maybe I was just a bit unlucky. I'd still be really tempted next time to return to the campag fold - particularly if I was more convinced about the ergo power mechanism's longevity.

Peter
  • To be fair Northpole you're not really comparing like for like. Veloce and Dura-ace are opposite ends of the respective ranges. Also, the higher end Campag shifters use a different mechanism to the lower end ones. I've never had any reliability problems any Campagnolo components (various gruppos from Centaur through to Super Record). To be fair, I never had any problems with DA or Shimano kit either.
  • so what are you guys saying?
    campag only works on dry, warm sunny days :lol:
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    Nah, I've got record on my winter bike. I'd hate to have to save it for summer use only, what a waste :D
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    maglia...

Thanks for the reply - I was conscious of the fact that the price points were very different & it's great to hear that I was a bit unlucky with mine. I have heard of work colleagues recently having problems with their 105 twiddlesticks. So next time, unless I hear to the contrary I will be tempted to make mine a campag! (Unless I develop a fetish for batteries!)

Peter