Nottingham clubs - for beginners!

Scrumple
Scrumple Posts: 2,665
edited November 2009 in Road beginners
I known there are sites that list the various clubs (wouldn't harm to remind me).

I am a little unsure about joining one, though, as I have no interest in competing.

I do want to share experience and train, with a group that would ensure I get out and do more than just my commuting rides.

Any ideas in the Nottingham area?! I do not want a load of beardy fogies who ride penny farthings and stop every 3 miles for a wee. Similarly, I don't want a group of shaved loons who ride like the wind and laugh at my frequent chunder stops.
More after a semi serious way to keep fit and train in a relaxed environment. I'm mid 30's, and would need some work to get me back to fitness (always been sporty) so it would have to reflect my needs.

Evans do a weekly night ride, so I may try that?

All ideas appreciated.

Comments

• geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    Well, I'm a bearded fogy and one of our group with prostate cancer has to stop occasionally for a wee but we manage 50 to 70 steady miles on our Wednesday rides. I haven't the courage to try a penny farthing :)

At one time clubs had runs for family riders but they seem to be more racing orientated these days. Certainly Derby Mercury Sunday club runs would once have suited you (I've pushed youngsters home) but they're more speed fests these days I think. I've no recent experience of the Nottingham CTC (I live near Derby now), though they had their share of hard riders in the past, but I would think they were the first port of call for you.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • Scrumple
    I hope you saw through the potential insult! I meant no harm to a generation I respect!

There was some self deprecation in my post,to level it out (I barfed on my handlebars last week).

Thanks for the answer!
  • Scrumple
    The Notts CTC website pics make it look a little too reserved and sedate for me.

Guess I am after a road club that isn't too elitist.

I'm near Mapperley so may have to ask in Langdale Lightweigths?