Tow-paths sell off?

deptfordmarmoset
deptfordmarmoset Posts: 3,118
edited November 2009 in The bottom bracket
I don't know how many of us use tow-paths either for recreational cycling or for commuting, but it appears that the government is looking around for ways to plug the big hole in its finances. Selling off inland waterways appears to be one of the options under consideration, though the powers that be are neither confirming or denying things at the moment. Inland Waterways.org are certainly taking this threat very seriously and there is already an online petition with around 10,000 signatures.

Obviously, while details of a sell-off are as yet unknown, it's hard to picture what privatisation would mean for cyclists, but a change of rights of way, possible gating of new canalside housing, stuff like that, would have some impact on cyclists. And yet I've not seen any news of this among the cycling community.

More details here:
http://www.waterways.org.uk/News/Number10Petition
and for the petition
http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/protectourcanals/

Comments

• canals are a massively UNDER used assest in the this country, thats a disgrace

Signed up no problem
  • Cressers
    Cressers Posts: 1,329
    This is what we've been reduced to, pawning the last few unprivatised assets to webuyanystateasset.com.
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    That would be a real shame. I use the Grand union canal a lot, and have seen the improvements made over recent years. I've signed the petitin, but not sure how much influence it will have.
  • APIII wrote:
    That would be a real shame. I use the Grand union canal a lot, and have seen the improvements made over recent years. I've signed the petitin, but not sure how much influence it will have.

Yes, it's difficult to gauge what effect a petition will have, but waterways.org.uk's strategy seems to be to try and nip the idea in the bud before it becomes a part of the government's public strategy. If they see a lot of opposition they might just walk away from it - saving the public a hard battle to get the government to climbdown on public policy.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Signed it. Canals should be a great asset to the country, but hardly anyone uses them.