Commuting with kids

Notsolittlemisssunshine
edited November 2009 in Commuting chat
Does anyone commute with kids? How do you find it. I have about a mile commute with the kids to their childminder and the commute itself is fine and the kids enjoy it, the problem I have is the amount of time it takes for them to get ready. Also I don't really like taking them when it really windy which forces me into taking the car.If it was just me I would be on the bike most days.

Comments

• No matter how you travel, the problem is always how long it takes to get the kids ready.
  • Occasionally I'll take the kids to school. If they're on their bikes, it's a paceline. If not, they complain about having to run on the pavement to keep up. :twisted:
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    My wife has a Trikidoo when she needs to take both of them to school. Major time saver, I'm told.

When I take my eldest, I ride and she scoots the scooter on the pavement.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rally200
    rally200 Posts: 646
    First 1/2 mile of my commute is walking kids to school - its a nightmare, falling over each other in the hall trying to sort out all the shoes, coats & bags - while putting on your own overshoes (or rather half putting them on & then stuffing them up my trouser legs) etc, then carrying your lid, gloves, specs, etc. plus I have to wear trackie bottoms so as not to cause embarassment to the kids, and offence/amusement to all the mums.
    still - its "quality time" so I shouldn't complain
  • rally200 wrote:
    First 1/2 mile of my commute is walking kids to school - its a nightmare, falling over each other in the hall trying to sort out all the shoes, coats & bags - while putting on your own overshoes (or rather half putting them on & then stuffing them up my trouser legs) etc, then carrying your lid, gloves, specs, etc. plus I have to wear trackie bottoms so as not to cause embarassment to the kids, and offence/amusement to all the mums.
    still - its "quality time" so I shouldn't complain

Simply brilliant!! :lol:
  • jjojjas
    jjojjas Posts: 346
    it's pushed us into using a car again since number 3 has started school. It's just too much grief to the point of making life less enjoyable. I cycle, Mrs drives the kids then drives on to work.
    works fine.
    Just removes the enjoyable ride out of the equation.
    Jas
    it looks a bit steep to me.....