northernneil
northernneil Posts: 1,549
edited November 2009 in The bottom bracket
1.5 degrees, hammering it down & still need lights at 8:25

I am off back to bed

Comments

• freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    I'm forcing myself out to a chaingang, I might decide not to do it when I get ther though. Truly depressing day.
  • still need lights at 10:02 !!!!!!!
  • I'm wondering if I should just go back to bed.....!
  • Just got up, 9 deg and sunny here, so just off for a ride 8)
  • warm and sunny but the evil jobs to do.
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • lfcquin
    lfcquin Posts: 470
    Supposed to be cross racing. Race starts in 2 minuntes, instead I am stuck at home with a nasty cold. Going to do a couple of hours steady this afternoon instead. Completely buggered up my weekend because I should be cross racing tomorrow as well and that ain't gonna happen either. :cry:
  • I thought Cross is on Sundays?

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • essexian
    essexian Posts: 187
    I can't wait until November ends! Its been the worse month for cycling since I started again in May.....

Firstly, I discover the seat on my new bike was set too low by the LBS (40mm!) leaving me with really sore knees. I could not cycle for 10 days. Then, I had to go away on business for a week and finally when I get home, we have some really bad wind and rain (yes, yes, MTFU I can hear you say).

So, this morning...cold but that's okay...dry...good oh. Off I go.... 2.7 miles later I get a visit from that bleeping bleep bleep. Do I have a spare innertube on me... do I hell! So nice walk home later; a trip to a LBS and I am ready to go out again only to be caught by the current wife who thinks Saturdays are a good day to paint the fence and go shopping....

Aaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg :(
  • lfcquin
    lfcquin Posts: 470
    I thought Cross is on Sundays?

Most of the North West series has been on a Saturday this year. Today is a Wheelbase event in Haslingden and tomorrow is Horwich.
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    still need lights at 10:02 !!!!!!!

You sure? I set off cycling at 9am and did not need lights.
  • prb007
    prb007 Posts: 703
    softies........did a 12 mile commute at 05.30/06.15 this morning in the hail and the dark. Hot shower at 06.30, right as rain now (pardon the pun) and home again at 4 - will need lights then, too!
    If Wales was flattened out, it'd be bigger than England!
    Planet X Ti Sportive for Sportives & tours
    Orange Alpine 160 for Afan,Alps & dodging trees
    Singlespeed Planet X Kaffenback for dodging potholes
    An On-One Inbred for hard-tail shenanigans...
  • holmeboy
    holmeboy Posts: 674
    Run in and out of work yesterday, Nuts froze on way home! :x
  • freehub wrote:
    I'm forcing myself out to a chaingang, I might decide not to do it when I get ther though. Truly depressing day.

A chaingang mid november! You lads are keen!

But yes,. it's effing freezing. Think I need to get some gloves.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • freehub wrote:
    still need lights at 10:02 !!!!!!!

You sure? I set off cycling at 9am and did not need lights.

aye visibility of about 60 metres at best, cleared up now and I can see where I am going so going to man up and head out
  • prb007 wrote:
    softies........did a 12 mile commute at 05.30/06.15 this morning in the hail and the dark. Hot shower at 06.30, right as rain now (pardon the pun) and home again at 4 - will need lights then, too!

You're certifiable!

• geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    prb007 wrote:

You're certifiable!

Why? I did more or less the same for over 20 years. Not on Saturdays though and didn't set out until 0630. Got to know quite a few others commuting at the same time. We almost had a club.

Now? We get up about 0900 after the 'Today' programme ends :)

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    essexian wrote:
    Firstly, I discover the seat on my new bike was set too low by the LBS (40mm!) leaving me with really sore knees. I could not cycle for 10 days.

30 seconds with an allen key would have fixed that - do you have no tools..?
  • essexian
    softlad wrote:
    essexian wrote:
    Firstly, I discover the seat on my new bike was set too low by the LBS (40mm!) leaving me with really sore knees. I could not cycle for 10 days.

Hundreds of the things ta. I think what I was trying to say was that as it was a new bike purchased from an LBS who said they had set it up correctly for me, I was surprised that it caused knee pain after a six weeks use. I measured it up using the 109% "rule" and found it was far too low. All seems fine now.
  • geoff_ss
    essexian wrote:
    softlad wrote:
    essexian wrote:

Hundreds of the things ta. I think what I was trying to say was that as it was a new bike purchased from an LBS who said they had set it up correctly for me, I was surprised that it caused knee pain after a six weeks use. I measured it up using the 109% "rule" and found it was far too low. All seems fine now.

We bought a new tandem in September from an excellent bike shop but we've spent quite a lot of time getting it set up to suit us. A pedal cycle is a very individual thing and no bike shop can get it how you want it straight off. We've now done 600 miles and it's getting near but there'll be a few tweaks yet.

Geoff
  • essexian
    Completely agree Geoff.

I suppose as I had never had a "proper" bike before: everything I have ever owned before was either brought off ebay for £120 or out of a catalogue, I relied too much on the shop to set it up for me.

After, as you say, around 600 miles, I knew it was wrong for me, so changed it.

Anyway, manned up a bit later this afternoon and told the current wife the fence painting could wait and went out...feet almost froze but enjoyed myself.
  • I wimped out today. It has been raining all day. Tommorrow is meant to be club ride time. Don't feel like going this week.
    Last week my front mudguard went into my front wheel, dropping me on my arse. One piece s-works carbon bar/stem okay, but new Hudz, SRAM levers both scratched, Time pedal damaged, Time cleat broken, Specialized Pro road shoes have a gouge taken out the side.
    Went out this week for an early morning ride sans front mudguard, ended up with cold feet and legs. Sod tommorrow.
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Well, I went out on my bike this morning. To the sorting office, to get my Wiggle parcel, then home again. A round trip of about 1.5 miles. That was enough for me. Cccccc-cold.
  • I managed 13 miles in the afternoon wearing to pairs of tights and 4 layers and then this morning it is BATTERING it down, this is the worst month for rain I can remember for a long time, I'm off to the pub to watch the football
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    freehub wrote:
    I'm forcing myself out to a chaingang

A chaingang mid november! You lads are keen!

only 20 miles, just under the hour so not full on. Will never made it, puncture fairy!
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • brucey72
    brucey72 Posts: 1,086
    Four of us hit a patch of black ice yesterday and all ended up on the deck, one having to trundle home with a badly buckled rear wheel. I really should have learned my lesson because at about 11am, I came down a hill and around a left hand bend that was shaded by the trees and unknown to me still covered in ice. My front wheel just went from underneath me and I hit the tarmac hard and now have a sprained wrist and road rash on my hip and knee. It could have been much worse though as I ended up lying on the wrong side of the road! My new (first time worn) assos 851 jacket now has a huge hole in the elbow, shorts are ripped at the hip, one legwarmer a hole on the knee and an overshoe ripped to shreds.My bike was unharmed thankfully apart from a tear to the bar tape.

I cycled all through last winter no matter the conditions. One of my most memorable club runs was where 2-3 inches of snow fell during the ride but this incident has given my confidence a real knock. I think I will stick to the turbo from now on if there is a chance of ice.
  • geoff_ss
    brucey72 wrote:
    Four of us hit a patch of black ice yesterday and all ended up on the deck, one having to trundle home with a badly buckled rear wheel. I really should have learned my lesson because at about 11am, I came down a hill and around a left hand bend that was shaded by the trees and unknown to me still covered in ice. My front wheel just went from underneath me and I hit the tarmac hard and now have a sprained wrist and road rash on my hip and knee. It could have been much worse though as I ended up lying on the wrong side of the road! My new (first time worn) assos 851 jacket now has a huge hole in the elbow, shorts are ripped at the hip, one legwarmer a hole on the knee and an overshoe ripped to shreds.My bike was unharmed thankfully apart from a tear to the bar tape.

I cycled all through last winter no matter the conditions. One of my most memorable club runs was where 2-3 inches of snow fell during the ride but this incident has given my confidence a real knock. I think I will stick to the turbo from now on if there is a chance of ice.

Reads like trike weather to me :) When my motor bike was my sole means of transport I fitted a sidecar for winter so it seemed a natural thing to get a trike for Winter cycling ... so I did. Great fun, you should try it.

Hope you recover quickly.

Geoff