colintrav
colintrav Posts: 1,074
edited November 2009 in MTB general
For those that plan on going cycling in Scandinavia or live in that area

Anyone used Spiked tyres .. ? I've seen them used on Motorbikes

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Buy them over there ? Be cheaper than over here I reckon - theres no demand here for them.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 2,086
    Studs are only useful on ice and make a mess if you slip onto your tyre.

Better with narrow mud-spikes in the winter. They'll deal with snow, slush and gunk.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    people with shopping bikes use them.

Some people use things like the Ice spiker when off road.

freddies revenge is popular for racing on snow/ice tracks.

the thing to remember is that up here the ground in solidly frozen not like the UK where you have a thin frozen skin.

But grip is not that much of an issue as the temp.

have fun.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • If the winter is like last winter on Tyneside then studded tyres are very useful as they work well on ice. Last winter on a number of days it rained in the day and by late afternoon had frozen, and also there were long cold spells with a build up of frozen rain/snow. They are particularly useful for off road paths that are not gritted/salted. On freshly fallen snow you don't need a studded tyre. If it is not too deep then a thin mountain bike tyre with an open tread pattern seems to work well.
    If not needed then the studded tyres are heavy and slow so you would not enjoy using them. I had owned them for four winters before they were useful to me, and I am happy that they are there if I need them.
  • _Ferret_
    _Ferret_ Posts: 660
    My mate swears by spikes in the winter, but to be fair he lives on a hill and simply cannot get back up there if he has normal tyres on - the road is frozen solid in winter.
    I've been riding with him in the winter without spikes and spent more time on my @rse than on the bike!
    In England you would probably only need them about 2 days a year if at all...
    Not really active
  • colintrav wrote:
    For those that plan on going cycling in Scandinavia or live in that area

Anyone used Spiked tyres .. ? I've seen them used on Motorbikes

If you have some old worn out tyres I suggest you see what I said here http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... highlight= to use them.