Which Night Vision?

redvee
redvee Posts: 11,922
edited November 2009 in Commuting chat
Confused about the Altura Night Vision jackets.

Night Vision or Night Vision Evo ?. My bank balance is saying Night Vision.
I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I have the Night Vision. Keeps me warm - a bit too warm if you're gunning it. Does the job.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • neil²
    neil² Posts: 337
    The zip broke on my first night vision which was then kindly replaced. The pocket of the replacement has just come apart. These jackets were well looked after and barely worn!

Maybe I've been doubly unlucky, but I won't be buying another one.

Mind you, when they work they are nice.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I just bought a Nightvision windproof. Very pleased with it and I think its a better option for regular quick-ish commuting, with something like a Montane Featherlight H2O on top for the wet days.
    More problems but still living....
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    my night vision going strong and very snug and warm, good build quality
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    Hey Redvee - I think I've made your mind up - the Evo is £67.99 here

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Altura-Night-Vision-Evo-Waterproof-Cycling-Jacket_28602.htm

If ordering from Tredz online - I'd suggest giving them a quick call to check stock availability first. Better still, pop over the water to their Cardiff shop (again call first to check stock).

I got the Evo last week (only just realised it was the Evo just now :oops: ) - absolutely fantastic jacket, 3 front pockets and one back - all zipped. One main vent and two vertical back vents which can be opened/closed with a zip.

I'm wearing it for commuting everyday with just a base layer underneath, even for walking the dogs :lol:

If you're popping over, may be best tomorrow (they're open Sundays) as we have some rugby business to attend to here today with 70,000+ travelling into Cardiff and the M4 is likely to be hectic.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    I have been using the Evo for about 6 weeks. Really pleased so far, kept me dry during yesterday's deluge and have only been using a short-sleeve base layer with it so far (although I was regretting that 5 minutes after that leaving the house yesterday so MTFU and PTFH...)
    Rules are for fools.
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12665245

even better for your balance if your size

and no im not linked to the sale :)
  • redvee
    andy83 wrote:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12665245

even better for your balance if your size

and no im not linked to the sale :)

Saw the ad and just checked the Wiggle Altura size guide and it seems the jacket isn't my size :(
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    Benno68 wrote:
    the Evo is £67.99

£63 from merlin

I got the windproof for £40 from there a few weeks back - very happy with it and it's virtually waterproof too.
  • I went out to my LBS about 6 weeks ago to buy NV Evo but ended up with a Altura Crosslite Jacket.

I have a Nevis which I find to warm for all but the coldest of conditions. The Crosslite ia all it is claimed to be and would recommend it over the Evo.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    RV, you just beat me to asking the very same question !

I've been considering getting one of these for commuting. I have a Montane Velo which is great, but fancied something a little thicker for the winter months.

I went into a local bike shop last week and tried them both on....and I recommend you do the same, the Evo is a strange cut (or I'm a strange shape) - I found that it seemed huuuge even in a Medium, but a small was tight across the back of my shoulders when in a hands-stretched-forward riding position.

I think the Evo would be fine if you prefer an upright riding position (hybrid/MTB) but the original more suited to a sportier position.

Merlin have the original for £45 this week:
    http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/cycle-clothing/cycling-outer-jackets/altura-night-vision-waterproof-jacket-yellow.html

C'mon, someone persuade me not to hit the "buy" button, I've got one in my basket.....
    Misguided Idealist
  • benno68
    I found that it seemed huuuge even in a Medium, but a small was tight across the back of my shoulders when in a hands-stretched-forward riding position.

I think the Evo would be fine if you prefer an upright riding position (hybrid/MTB) but the original more suited to a sportier position.

The LARGE is just fine for me.......on a road bike :oops: :oops: :oops:

But then again I'm just a fat ffff.............er.

£63 from Merlin sounds like a great deal!

Giant Defy 105 2009
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    I had the old NV from about 3-4 years back. Really liked it. Nice and bright, good reflectives, warm (perhaps too warm in most cases if I'm honest)

Right now I'm more comfortable in a NV fleece-style jacket (not sure what it called). Its not water proof but it is very snug, if it rains lightly it will take it, or if heavy rain I stick a thin altura over the top. Under I just wear a base layer.
  • redvee
    Looks like I'm going overseas tomorrow, must find my passport to get to Cardiff. Phoned Tredz and they have an NV Evo small enough for me in stock.
  • FeynmanC
    FeynmanC Posts: 649
    Try out the Reflex too, if they've got it. They do an ergo version and a non ergo version (not sure of the difference, except for about £10)

It's basically their "technical fabric" waterproof jacket and it seems to really work for me. Similar technology to eVent but half the price.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Altur ... 360031864/

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Altur ... 360044954/

The reviews sold it to me:

Review from Cycling Plus

The reflex from Altura has several things going for it, but one of the best is the fit. Whoever was responsible for cutting the pattern for this jacket did a mighty fine job. The sleeves are nice and long and yet don't bunch up at the elbows, and the tapered cuffs with reflective Velcro adjuster straps are great. There is a single small breat pocket which is amazingly waterproof, and a single larger rear pocket. There's reflective detailing in all the right places, and it's also nice and wide for great visibility. On the performance front it managed to be one of the most waterproof jackets in the test, and yet also managed to be as breathable as the best. The material itself looks and feels very similar to event fabric but is lighter and slightly thinner.
    In conclusion...

A top performer and one of the best fitting jacktes that we've ever tested
    Rating: 9/10
    us0.png
  • benno68
    redvee wrote:
    Looks like I'm going overseas tomorrow, must find my passport to get to Cardiff. Phoned Tredz and they have an NV Evo small enough for me in stock.

Don't forget you've got to pay to get in! Never know, may see you in there, I need to buy something nice to take my mind of the rugby result :roll:

Giant Defy 105 2009
  • redvee
    I don't drive so have been looking at trains and coaches to Cardiff and the time and cost add too much to the price for me. The train is 2hrs and £9 and the coach is just as much but an hour quicker :? Might see if my local Evans can price match.
  • benno68
    Good call on the price match!

Trains on Sunday's are shite - 2 hours hmph(it's quicker from London!!!)

Giant Defy 105 2009
  • FeynmanC
    FeynmanC Posts: 649
    Evans price matched with wiggle for me, so take some proof of the price you've seen and they will.

Beware thought. I only went in for some gloves...came out with a gilet and some sealskinz socks too :oops:
    us0.png
  • redvee
    FeynmanC wrote:
    Evans price matched with wiggle for me, so take some proof of the price you've seen and they will.

Got the Merlin page bookmarked on my phone :D
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,210
    pastryboy wrote:
    Benno68 wrote:
    the Evo is £67.99

£63 from merlin

I got the windproof for £40 from there a few weeks back - very happy with it and it's virtually waterproof too.
    Good tip on the NV Evo at Merlin, cheers - just ordered one :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • redvee
    Got the normal night vision from Evans :D

Should have been

image1ch.th.jpg

But paid

zzscan0044.th.jpg

:D:D

Good old mobile phones with internet access
  • benno68
    Result :):):)

Giant Defy 105 2009
  • cjcp
    Just taken the Night Vision out in the pouring rain and driving wind. With a good layer, I was warm and dry. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • benno68
    Nice one CJ.

I very nearly bought a pair of these today to help me get over the rugby result

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Endura-Endura-Stealth-Lite-Biblongs-2009-cycling-bib-tights_20674.htm

But saw sense and stuck to getting 2 pairs of socks and a pair of Sealskinz gloves for my boy. I was drooling over a Cannondale Super Six Sram Rival - now if I had a spare £2700...

I'm going to do some googling and see if those bib longs are worth the money - I'm a but worried about how they'd wash!

Giant Defy 105 2009
  • cjcp
    Hmmm, wasn't good, was it? :(

Tbh, unless you're really prone to getting cold, I'd sooner spend £60-70 on fleece-lined running tights and bib shorts.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • benno68
    I can't put what I truly think of the Wales performance on a public forum. The Aussies played well whereas Wales were embarrassing.

I don't really suffer with the cold, it was the fact that they were waterproof but breathable that got my interest. I've got bib shorts, fleece 3/4 and longs and some Altura overtrousers which are pretty good for the commute - maybe that's enough :roll:

Suppose I should be saving my pennies for a new bike :lol:

Giant Defy 105 2009
  • I got the EVO version a couple of weeks ago from Merlin, so far its been great, a little on the warm side when working hard but plenty of venting to release the heat should you wish. I also got the Night Vision trousers from Merlin at the same time, and unlike the picture they use to show the item, they are the latest version of the trousers with the reflectives that match the Evo jacket perfectly, again I can highly recommend them over 5-10 mile distance commutes.
    I LOVE THE SMELL OF GT85 IN THE MORNING!