iphone - who to go with?

Mothyman
Mothyman Posts: 655
edited November 2009 in The bottom bracket
do I go with the company named after a fruit.colour...or the one named after the stuff we breathe to stay alive?
someone said the former lot only allow you to watch maybe 7 youtube videos a month then they start to charge...is this correct?
i know nowt about the subject

Comments

• skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    It may be worth waiting a little while, as the big shop where 'every little helps' are apparently about to start selling them.

...so there could be a three-way battle about to start. :D
    Cycling weakly
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    I've stayed with Orange for mine, having been with them for a decade and operating under a "better the devil you know" philosophy. I think the 750MB "fair use" limit for 3G data was a bit over-hyped, though it raised my eyebrows to begin with. They have announced somewhere – I'll try to find the link – that this limit is porous, and may be reviewed. I think (hope!) they're playing it safe, and will relent if general data demands prove to be higher.

In any case, iPhone much prefers Wi-fi, and will connect to Wi-fi networks invisibly if it can find them. BT Openzone and the Cloud are included, for free (though with their own limit, I believe). As a result of this, I've found myself nowhere near 750MB of 3G data in my first month even with heavy use.

One downside I didn't expect: Visual Voicemail is not yet supported on with Orange. With Vodaphone joining in soon and Tesco doing an O2 franchise deal, some are predicting a price war. I think that's optimistic, because the operator profit margins are apparently very slim already.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,870
    Can't add much more to balthazar above.

other than go for it - lots of fun
  • Mothyman
    Mothyman Posts: 655
    thanks lads/lasses.....very helpful balthazar. I actually live in a poor zone for 3g reception but my theory was that I wouldnt use the 3g bit at home much anyway.....

..as always my timing isnt great - if I do the 24month contract and they slash prices soon after it will be a pain.....

thanks again

Mothyman