standard pedals which ones to buy

jackthelad
jackthelad Posts: 89
edited November 2009 in Commuting chat
guys looking for standard pedals to use on my tricross during the winter,I have spd pedals that I use normally but took them off as I have several pairs of gourtex boots that i can use in the winter for all the rain.I have been looking at the DMR V12 and was wondering if these are ok or should i look at something different.I have quite wide feet so these pedals have a good flat base and grip. for wide feet.

Any advice on these pedals or an alternative would be grately appreciated

jackthelad

Comments

• The B-54s get raved about in the MTB buying section, as do Wellgo MG1s.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=5199
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,210
    I use Wellgo MG-1's on my mountain bike and commuter and they stick very well, even to normal trainers.

Steve.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Thanks for the replies guys,I now have a choice,

jackthelad
  • Concur with the recommendation for the MG-1's - I was completely new to the idea of pedals with those gripping pins embedded inside and had no clue they would grip so well.
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    If you're using boots with a heavy/raised sole pattern the pins on V12's, or any flat pedals can be a pain as they don't line up with the grip on the boots. I find they work best with flat soled shoes. Something like the DaBomb Shin Guru or Kore race Platform from Chainreaction may work better. I'd steer clear of Wellgo pedals, in my experience the bearings don't last very long and are poorly sealed.
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,210
    Rich158 wrote:
    I'd steer clear of Wellgo pedals, in my experience the bearings don't last very long and are poorly sealed.
    Rich, which Wellgo's have you had problems with? My MG-1's have been fine so far on two bikes and there quite a few of the experienced MTB lot who swear by them (in terms of quality as well as 'stickiness') - a quick search on the MTB forums should be enough to give you the drift.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    MKS pedals are pretty standard fare for commuting/touring/road bikes where clipless is not wanted.
    The Sylvian Touring is a wide, double sided cage model with durable bearings that are easy to service.
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Rich158 wrote:
    I'd steer clear of Wellgo pedals, in my experience the bearings don't last very long and are poorly sealed.
    Rich, which Wellgo's have you had problems with? My MG-1's have been fine so far on two bikes and there quite a few of the experienced MTB lot who swear by them (in terms of quality as well as 'stickiness') - a quick search on the MTB forums should be enough to give you the drift.

tbh it was a few years ago, and they were the DMR V8/12 copies. The bearings were very poorly sealed and the grip from the pins was pretty poor as well. They were bad enough to make me swear never use Wellgo again. tbh honest I usually spend far more on my mtb pedals, and use pretty much top of the range cranks brothers 50/50's or DMR V12's, and use 5/10 shoes. Then again I do use them for DH so they take a hell of a pounding
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • wellgo make DMR pedals though, the V12 copies are the same as the V12 with wellgo rather than DMR on the pedal shell.

CB pedals tend to fall apart IME, however I'm currently testing the warranty dept at 2pure on this matter.