Tour Advice - Sardinia

xilios
xilios Posts: 170
edited December 2009 in Tour & expedition
My wife and I are currently planning our 2010 tour throu Corsica and Sardinia. We've already got some good information from waltho's post on Corsica and now seek some advice on Sardinia.
Has anyone toured this island, and are there any places, towns/villages of interest that we should know about?
Thanks.

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    There are two ferry links from Corsica to Sardinia. One goes from Propriano to Porto Torres and the other goes from Bonifacio.

The topology of Sardinia is somewhat different from Corsica in that there is a large central plain. Although there are parts of eastern Sardinia that are definitely like Corsica.

You definitely have to check out the Nuraghe especially the complex at Burrumini and the village of Tiscali.

Oh and the village of Orgosolo is definitely worth a detour for its more contemporary murals.

Don't miss the Las Piscinas dunes.

Alghero, Cagliari and Sassaro all have historic centres that are well worth spending a bit of time in.

If you're interested in the local culture, check out the Tenores de Bitti. And if you're interested in the local drink then try the 'fillu e ferru' - though homemade limoncello is pretty good too.

There's a very useful website at:

http://www.sardegnaturismo.it
  • xilios
    xilios Posts: 170
    Thanks for the tips Andy.
    There are several places to check out but we don't want to be making any loops so there's really only two options.
    South on the SS125 to the gulf of Oresei cut across the island to Burrumini, visit Las Piscinas dunes before heading to Cagliari.
    Westward hugging the coast and visiting Sassari, Alghero, Oristano, Burrumini, Las Piscinas and Cagliari.
    Maybe even do the southwestern coast.
    Decisions, decisions, I love planning tours :)
  • pbraun
    pbraun Posts: 17
    My wife and I did a great self guided tour of Sardinia arranged by Sandro Cresto of Dolcevita Tours. We had a terrific time, the island was beautiful and the cycling was very challenging. Lots of climbing, though you can opt for less if you stay near the coast. I would encourage you to contact Sandro and see if he can arrange something to your liking. They also have tour group tours, but of course your calendar then has to exactly match the date of the tour.
    pbraun
  • if you go across SW from the Gulf of Orosei you miss the best bit of the SS125. Much better to ride all the way to where we live and then go W. This is more or less the Cyclewild group followed in 2007, see photos at http://www.peteranne.it/album/Cycling/Cyclewild%20Tour%20of%20Ogliastra%20%26%20Barbagia%2C%20May%202007/index.html

Yesterday I drove from Lotzorai where we live via Jerzu to Isili. This would make a very nice cycle particularly if you go on the smaller roads.

Good luck Peter
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    if you go across SW from the Gulf of Orosei you miss the best bit of the SS125. Much better to ride all the way to where we live and then go W.

How will he know where you live? :wink:

Does this photo of a mural from Orgosolo mean you go through there?

13.%20Anti-Berlusconi%20Mural%20in%20Orgosolo.JPG

There's loads more in the same mould (although to my mind there are others that are more striking and interesting).