Advice - it was really cold this morning!!

es330
es330 Posts: 46
edited December 2009 in Commuting chat
Hi there

It was sooo cold on the way to work this morning (Preston, 6 mile commute) that I'm forced to ask these rather silly and naive questions:

- Can anyone recommend a decent winter legging to wear which keeps not only your legs warm but also your hip / groin area snug?

- Would / do leg warmers fit over tights without slipping down?

- If I go down the leg warmer route (been looking at Craft Winter Leg Warmers) is there complimentary short you can recommend?

Cheers

PS. anyone out there have Bontrager Race forks with the SpeedTrap compatible sensor? Poor reviews for the Trek Incite computer have put me off. Does anyone else know of a compatible Cadence computer which will work with these sensors?
Trek 2.3 2010

Comments

• I'd always go for full bib tights myself. I use Nike ones or Lusso Repel when it's really cold. Always with shorts underneath.
    If you just use leg warmers, you've only got one layer of lycra over your samosas which is not nearly enough in these temeratures.
  • markp2
    markp2 Posts: 162
    Yep chilly today. My first day in long sleeves. Still wearing shorts though!
    Genesis Croix de Fer - my new commuting mount
    Saracen Hytrail - the workhorse - now pensioned off
    Kinetic-One FK1 roadie - the fast one - hairy legs though!
    Cannondale Jekyll Lefty MTB - the muddy one which keeps tipping me into gorse bushes!
  • solsurf
    solsurf Posts: 489
    Yep chilly today. My first day in long sleeves. Still wearing shorts though!

That's because you live in devon and we live in the artic circle, snow in the Lakes this weekend, just to top off the flooding! :wink: [/quote]
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    DHB Merstons. You won't need leg warmers with them.
    More problems but still living....
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    If noone else will:

MFTU

leg warmers? Just ride harder.
  • es330
    es330 Posts: 46
    Always with shorts underneath.

Thanks - the briefs will be donned on Monday.

Can anyone a decent thermal sports brief? Or would a set of normal 'undies' suffice?!
    Trek 2.3 2010
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    Get some padded undershorts - endura and dhb both do them.
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Got some DHB legwarmers at the start of last winter, never used them tho. Just use leggings when it's cold.
  • Shorts + fleece lined leg warmers... wind briefs over shorts... sugoi firewall tights (2 layers on front)... any colder and I wear my thermo - roubaix tights as a mid - layer...

www.mec.ca for the shorts(rapide model) / leg warmers (house brand)... go to the general men's clothing for the wind briefs...

It's -1 and puking snow... they actually canceled today's training race at lake louise (downhill ski world cup) due to heavy snowfall...
    Cervelo Soloist
    Cervelo P2 (Carbon)
    Trek 4500
    some sort of cx bike

It's not that cold out, it's just a bit windy.

http://www.ridecalgary.blogspot.com

www.bikecalgary.org
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Shorts + fleece lined leg warmers... wind briefs over shorts... sugoi firewall tights (2 layers on front)... any colder and I wear my thermo - roubaix tights as a mid - layer...

www.mec.ca for the shorts(rapide model) / leg warmers (house brand)... go to the general men's clothing for the wind briefs...

It's -1 and puking snow... they actually canceled today's training race at lake louise (downhill ski world cup) due to heavy snowfall...

Yes, I put on some microfibre shorts over my tracksters. I looked a twassock, but the important parts didn't get windchill.
  • champ sys... has fleece lined shorts but you need to do a custom order....

http://ridecalgary.blogspot.com/2009/11/snow.html
    Cervelo Soloist
    Cervelo P2 (Carbon)
    Trek 4500
    some sort of cx bike

www.bikecalgary.org
  • +1 the DHB bibs.
    they are all ace, get the thermal ones and you'll be fine.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    champ sys... has fleece lined shorts but you need to do a custom order....

http://ridecalgary.blogspot.com/2009/11/snow.html

I think there is a difference between "Britain-cold" and "Alberta-cold".

The coldest I have cycled in was -9°C "plus" windchill. I think you are talking a bit chillier than that.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,707
    I switched to the thicker Altura Winter Cruisers today (3° C). These with Endura undershorts keep me more than warm enough.

Up top the merino base layer or s/s jersey & armwarmers is more than satisfactory under the jacket - after 15 mins I'm reaching for the zip to get some ventilation. Only on sub-zero days do I need anything more.

I have some Lusso Roubaix legwarmers (size S) that I tried but don't like - too clingy for me. £5 posted.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I've found the DHB lacking on the really early morning rides out here in the sticks, in fact last year I wore jeans over the top one day.

I've asked Santa to bring me some Spesh therminal big tights, i'm told that the whole therminal range is pretty good.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Whch DHB ones? I've just ordered a pair of Merston bibs :?
  • itboffin
    iain_j wrote:
    Whch DHB ones? I've just ordered a pair of Mersto bibs :?

I should add a disclaimer as my fellow weekend social riders will confirm I wore full length tights all year apart from 2-3 sportives, I hate the cold any kind of cold.

I keep my house at a comfortable 21 degrees all year, mmm toasty
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/city/pag ... ric_e.html

current temp .... -2 (-9) windchill
    Cervelo Soloist
    Cervelo P2 (Carbon)
    Trek 4500
    some sort of cx bike

www.bikecalgary.org
  • itboffin

Move :P
  • kelowna here I come... maybe vancouver??? not due for a transfer yet!
    Cervelo Soloist
    Cervelo P2 (Carbon)
    Trek 4500
    some sort of cx bike

www.bikecalgary.org
  • Having spent a few months on the prairie in Alberta both in winter & summer I would say it is a different matter altogether confirmed to the cold we experience in the UK.

I generally don't get cold legs but I will be getting a decent set of roubaix bib longs if I can find a spare few £.

I know pants are not a good idea under pads but if you really are suffering from frozen nads then Helly Hansen do (did) a windproof fronted pair.