Why do Shimano spd-sl cleats suddenly cost £20

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited November 2009 in Commuting chat
Seriously, last time I bought some I could have sworn I paid closer to £7. So what's the deal with the increase?
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• One element is the exchange rate against the Yen.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Stop shopping in condor, or evans for that matter.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    They've never been as cheap as £7. I've only bought one set (back in March) and they cost £12.

They shouldn't wear out that much really - don't put your feet down.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    Because DDD, they've got us by the Bo!!ocks.

Just looked on ebay, £13.98 with free shipping! Search "spd cleats".

Only problem is that it's from DHC. I've never used them but I've seen some fairly unfavourable comments about them :roll:

Still, for cleats I'm sure they'll be fine - but don;t hold me to that :D

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Benno68 wrote:
    Only problem is that it's from DHC. I've never used them but I've seen some fairly unfavourable comments about them :roll:

I've bought two pairs of SPDcleats from DH cyclesport with no issues. They are 'OEM' as in not in any shimano packaging or they've sold the pedals seperately but for £8 all in I won't get upset about not having any cardboard packaging to throw away
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    DH cyclesport is different to Dave Hinde.

One of my SPD-SL cleats died today, so I've decided to make the jump to Look Keos know.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Dave Harding Cyclesport is my LBS down the road in Woolston, definitely not a Dave Hinde type character at all!

Great bloke, very passionate about bikes, very knowlegable.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • RufusA
    RufusA Posts: 500
    My LBS fleeced me for nearly £20 for a pair of cleats earlier this year. He said that the cost to him has over doubled, and used some rather choice words when describing what Shimano were up to. Exchange rate, and a big hike in spares prices hitting at the same time. Sadly as my commuter shoes had a bad split, and I couldn't get the old cleats off, I was forced to pay the price, or not cycle for a few days!

The irony was that I stupidly forgot to tighten them fully when trying to get the position right, so lost a cleat bolt en-route (complete with my first and only clipless moment as I tried to rotate my foot out with only I bolt and it wouldn't let go). Popped in to Evans by Waterloo station, asking if they had any spare bolts that would fit. They didn't but sold me a pair of Shimano cleats (no card packaging etc.) for a fiver "sorry it's so much but we can't split the packet".

Your LBS isn't always your friend!

Rufus.
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    DH cyclesport is different to Dave Hinde.

One of my SPD-SL cleats died today, so I've decided to make the jump to Look Keos know.

I take back what I said - sorry I got confused between the two :oops:

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009