r3 guy
r3 guy Posts: 229
edited December 2009 in Routes
Grizedale or Whinlater....and why

Cant decide where to go tomo

Comments

• Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    Whinlatter by far, the south loop by itself is way better than the whole of grizedale and the north loop is better than the south (need I say more?)

All I remember of Grizedale is fireroads everywhere and being forced to ride on them up AND DOWN :evil: with rediculously short rocky ascents and decents and boring long boardwalks between them.

Hope this helps your decision :D
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    NFT with natural stuff is far better than Whinlatter.However the NFT alone is crap.
  • solsurf
    solsurf Posts: 489
    Whinlatter is probably better, however if I were you I would go to Grizedale and cycle over the top over parkamoor for some of the best natural riding in the lakes :D:D:D the track down to Nibthwaite is fantastic.

The only thing is there has been a lot of damage done to the tracks of late due to the weather so be careful out there

cheers,
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    Whinlatter is far better but tomorow go to Grisedale - the North Lakes is still seriously fucked up mate!
  • r3 guy
    r3 guy Posts: 229
    ended up going to Whinlater - Cant fault the place

3rd time there (not been to grizedale yet)

Whinlater is amazing, good facilities and amazing trails, views etc
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Neither. Go and do the Borrowdale Bash or Glenderaterra Beck or Skiddaw House runs. Or go another hour North and you've Mabie and Dalbeattie.

Both Whinlatter and Grizedale suck as trail centres.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • gonga
    gonga Posts: 225
    dave_hill wrote:
    Neither. Go and do the Borrowdale Bash or Glenderaterra Beck or Skiddaw House runs. Or go another hour North and you've Mabie and Dalbeattie.

I'd agree with Grizedale being a little poor but whinlatter is ace! :D
    All depends on what floats your boat within a trail centre but for me it has good facility's,bike shop,great views and above all else amazing trails!! :D
  • dave_hill
    gonga wrote:
    I'd agree with Grizedale being a little poor but whinlatter is ace! :D
    All depends on what floats your boat within a trail centre but for me it has good facility's,bike shop,great views and above all else amazing trails!! :D

I guess it's fine if you want a "no brainer" that's never more than 10 minutes from a skinny latté at inflated Lake District prices but that's not my style at all - I certainly wouldn't drive 2 hours just to do Whinlatter - there isn't enough to do. Oddly enough I found the best bit was the climb on the North loop and I hate climbing.

It's just that I think both trails are completely redundant given the superb natural riding to be had in the area. Mind you if you're scared of venturing off the beaten track then I guess it fills a gap.
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Just a note about Grizedale this weekend - There's a car rally in the forest on Saturday so the North Face trail won't be rideable
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    alisdairh wrote:
    Just a note about Grizedale this weekend - There's a car rally in the forest on Saturday so the North Face trail won't be rideable

Might not be such a problem if most of the Grizedale trail wasn't on fireroads... :wink:
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    dave_hill wrote:

I don`t suppose you have a gpx file or memory map file with those routes on, do you ?
    I`d like to give them a go.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    antfly wrote:
    dave_hill wrote:

I don`t suppose you have a gpx file or memory map file with those routes on, do you ?
    Pm me your email and i'll send you the GPX files.Personally i think the Borrowdale bash is crap.50% road,couple of good descents but 50% road!!!!
  • dave_hill
    antfly wrote:
    dave_hill wrote:

Sorry, I'm a GPS hater - but if you'll PM me your email address I can send you PDF files.
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Thanks guys i`ll pm you both.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • DaveMoss
    DaveMoss Posts: 236
    dave_hill wrote:
    Neither. ...... Or go another hour North and you've Mabie and Dalbeattie.

And Ae, which might be the shortest name in trail centres, but probably the best.

In fact Mabie is not much over an hour from Penrith, and by the time you get through Keswick and parked, it probably takes nearly as long to get to Whinlatter.

If natural trails is your thing, look at the Southern Upland Way. Remember, providing you give due consideration to others,you can ride a bike anywhere in Scotland
    Sportives and tours, 100% for charity, http://www.tearfundcycling.btck.co.uk