Groupset differences?

KP81
KP81 Posts: 6
edited November 2009 in Commuting chat
Hi All,
I am new to the forum but have found it a very useful source of information. My company have just started a cycle-to-work scheme and I am looking at buying a commuter bike. My ride will only be about 4 miles each way. I want to use the bike at weekends with the kids on towpaths etc.

Bikes have changed since I had my Grifter! I am quite confused with this whole Hybrid, Hybrid Race, Hybrid Trail, Urban and the groupsets used. I have 2 LBS to choose from on the scheme selling Marin, Ridgeback, KTM, Giant or Specialized. One shop is telling me to go for a bike with a Sora/Tiagra groupset the other Deore. What is the difference? Which is best for commuting? I have about £500-650 to spend on the bike with the rest on equipment. Although I am debating if this is too much as the bike will be locked at the train station. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

KP

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,380
    See that thread 'stuck' at the top of the page

That's the one for you :D

Welcome to the forum BTW
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • KP81
    Yep read it but nothing there on the groupset questions however so still not sure of the differences, and which is best for the commute or is there no difference and it is just a marketing thing.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    The best? Well the best is your opinion.

Do you want MTB gearing or road gearing?

Deore = MTB/Hybrid/touring

Tiagra = Road/hybrid/touring
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Welcome to the forum! :)

Deore is generally found on mtbs (and hybrids?), while Sora/Tiagra on road bikes.

Given your needs, a hybrid with Deore will be absolutely fine. I'm using a Specialized Rockhopper from 2002 for riding round the local park trail - it has the same groupset as when I bought.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • tailwindhome
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • redddraggon
    Note the Shimano V Campag issue is a popular one for silly internet arguments

Campag is too good to be locked up at a station so I wouldn't recommend Campag in this case

:wink:
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    That's true. Campag's prettier, but it's like an Alfa Romeo: looks nice, but that's it. :wink:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Wikipedia is pretty good on this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groupset

I've just spec'd SRAM for my new toy. I always wanted to own a bike with Campag, but when push came to shove I just couldn't get on with their shifters :-(
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • tailwindhome
    Note the Shimano V Campag issue is a popular one for silly internet arguments

Campag is too good to be locked up at a station so I wouldn't recommend Campag in this case

:wink:

Sorry

Missed that bit

Best go for CAMPY :wink:
  • KP81
    Thanks everyone for the replies. Redddragon asked did I want MTB gearing or road gearing. That is the question I was trying to ask!: Its probably a really dumb question :oops: but what is the difference? Do MTB have a wider gear range? I am really looking at the follwoing bikes;

giant XR3 or 2 - the 3 is £100 cheaper
    Specialized crosstrail
    Ridgeback flight 02.

The Giant and specialized have the Deore while the flight the Tiagra.

Thanks again.
    KP
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    cjcp wrote:
    That's true. Campag's prettier, but it's like an Alfa Romeo: looks nice, but that's it. :wink:
    Oh dear, lot to learn :wink:
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    cjcp wrote:

:lol::lol::lol:
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    KP81 wrote:
    Thanks everyone for the replies. Redddragon asked did I want MTB gearing or road gearing. That is the question I was trying to ask!: Its probably a really dumb question :oops: but what is the difference? Do MTB have a wider gear range? looking at

The MTB groupsets tend to be wider ranged, therefore with bigger jumps between gears, and also lower-ranged, so the hardest/fastest gear on a typical MTB setup won't be as fast/hard as on a road bike, and the lower gears will be a good bit lower, which can be useful when you have to climb a hill and are ready to keel over. There isn't a massive amount in it though.
    The biggest difference is in the shifters, MTB's using seperate brake and shifters, while road bikes use integrated brakes and shifters, but if you aren't getting drop handle bars (drops are great by the way) that isn't too relevant.

I don't think there is too much of a wrong answer here. If it's hilly, your carrying a lot on the bike or your very unfit, the lower gears might be handy. If it's not massively hilly, it's just you on the bike or your reasonably fit already, the lower gearing might become a pain as you have to spin faster to go the same speed.
  • welcome kp81
    why dont you ask your LBS what they recommend that best meet your needs
    then ask for a demo ride with different bikes with different groupsets (they should have demo bikes or even second hand bikes you can try) which will give you an idea of not only how different groupsets behave but how they ride. riding positions and even type of wheels and tyres can have a dramatic influence on a bike's charateristics. some are more relaxed and upright in their riding position whereas others will have a racier, more stretched out feel- only you will know what you prefer. some hybrids have narrow smooth tyres which are faster on roads and others will have semis (like tame mtb tyres with a smoother centre) which have better grip but are slower rolling but maybe more suitable if you intend to take kids on towpaths.
    finally i wouldnt personally leave a new bike at the train station unless you want your next post to tell us of your stolen bike. buy a new bike and enjoy it, buy a second hand £50 bike to ride and store at the station where it attracts no attention and no one is tempted to steal or steal parts from it.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Just a thought; have you thought of a folder? Elminates the need to leave it at the station, and probably a bit more versatile (sounds like you want to do a variety fo different things with it).

My Brompton cost £350 (used), and I use it for anything from a 14-mile commute to riding down the towpath with kids. I even use it to do the shopping, as it fits into a supermarket trolley.

Whatever you do, don't get a cheap folder, but there are some very good ones within your price range, and most of them actually ride like a proper bike...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    To this very day I still don't understand the difference in function between a mountain bike groupset and a road bike one. Yes the Mountain bike groupset shifts smaller/shorter gear inches but if that is it then Deore could well use the same parts as say Tiagra/105 and be just fitted with a tighter spring and other things enabling it to shift smaller gears. Someone please educate me.

That said, to the OP I think you need to decide where you will be riding most, off road or on road and then decide on the bike/gears.

Personally if you're going along paths, commuting and riding with kids then while my heart says road bike I think a cross-bike like the Specialized Tricross (basically a road bike shaped at being able to go off-road over light paths and trails due to more appropriate tyres, brakes etc while still being able to enjoy the road and subsequently the commute) would be more suitable.

If it is the ideal bike, then you will be choosing a road groupset.

(See what I did there).
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • redddraggon
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Someone please educate me.

I'll Try my best.

MTB groups consist of Wider range cassettes, and generally triples. Therefore the rear mech cages need to be longer to have more capacity. The front mech is also often a top pull rather than a bottom pull (road = nearly always bottom pull, some cross bikes are top pull though). Front mech normally always need to conform to smaller chainrings.

MTB stuff tends to be more rugged too. There's no reason why MTB deraillers and gearing can't be used with Road shifters - people often do this for touring.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    is you're going to use the bike at the weekend as well I'd suggest a hybrid as the less racing position will make the ride more enjoyable with the kids, the wider range in gearing will help... tbh I doubt the groupset is going to make much difference to your commute or to thieves.

If you're going to lock it at the station make sure you spend at least £60 on a quality D-lock, one that basically says look over there that lock is much easier to break than me
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • What it basically comes down to is speed.

If you're not bothered about going fast, buy MTB.

If you want a bit of speed, go Hybrid.

If you want to go fast, buy a road bike.

If you want to struggle, er... get fit, buy a single speeder.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • KP81
    Thanks for all the replies. I now know a little bit more. Reason I asked the question in the first place was that I had a bit of a bad customer experience in one of the nominated LBS - i felt a bit of a fool really. I ordered my son a bike for Christmas and on the day of ordering the assistant gave me a hard sell on a top of the range Specialized Sirrus. The day I picked the bike up another insisted the Crosstrail was the one for me. I actually suggested a Tricross only to be told this was for competition only and that I was wasting their time and I had to decide! There is no capacity to try the bikes. I am going to try the other nominated retailer. Unfortunately I like the Giant and Specialized bikes in the first LBS; the other does Marin, Ridgeback, Merida and KTM. But it pains me to give the first LBS the business.

The whole locking the bike at the station is a worry but I do want the bike for fitness as well. I run a lot but need an alternative as I age! The one good thing is that the conductors hut is right beside the cycle rack. I plan to buy the best lock and skewers for the wheels. Maybe I will go down budget a bit but you know what it is like you always want the higher end stuff - except of course when you are buying for someone else!

Thanks again.
    KP.
  • redddraggon
    TBH I wouldn't lock a big name brand (like Giant/Trek/Specialized/etc) as they are more likely to get nicked.

A slightly less heard of bike might be a better bet.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • KP81
    Maybe KTM - seems nobody has heard of them - there are very few reviews and the bikes do come well equipped.
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    Most thieves are opportunists, looking to sell the bike on for nowhere near it's value anyway. They will take anything vaguley bike shaped if it's the easiest bike to take.
    "I'd nick it if it were a Trek but I've never heard of these Colnago people, so I won't bother" isn't a thought that crosses most bike thieves minds
  • El Diego
    El Diego Posts: 440
    Ridgeback Flight has a road bike groupset I think.
  • markp2
    markp2 Posts: 162
    I would avoid Sora as it has silly gearchange levers. I have Tiagra/105 on my Genesis but have changed the 24-12 9 speed rear cassette for a 28-11 MTB one which gives a better spread of gears for hilly Devon
    Genesis Croix de Fer - my new commuting mount
    Saracen Hytrail - the workhorse - now pensioned off
    Kinetic-One FK1 roadie - the fast one - hairy legs though!
    Cannondale Jekyll Lefty MTB - the muddy one which keeps tipping me into gorse bushes!