Mickey Mouse Ears and old inner tubes

downfader
downfader Posts: 3,686
edited November 2009 in The bottom bracket
I had this really strange idea the other day. I bought myself a Redeye light to go with the Race Maxx2 - havent fitted it on the bike yet but looking it over gave me an idea... I know Exposure do the Whiteye light too, and that it snaps on the Joystick etc.. but wouldnt it be funny and great to have two Whiteyes set up like little ears on a helmet and a small battery. :lol:

The second thing that struck me recently was how many old and knackered innertubes I have lying about. Seems like a waste to just bin them, and I know of nowhere that will recycle them. :? I have used them for light mounts etc, but theres only so many times you can do that.

What do you guys and girls do with your old innertubes?

Comments

• innertubes, rubber bands, slipping over car rack metal to reduce scratches, or try your local tip, they'l find a way to recycle them
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    If they're beyond repair I bin 'em, but you're right, they could be made use of.

Hmm, beyond frame protection, not much comes to mind though. I know, I want to make a cat catapult along these lines - reckon innertubes stretch enough?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • downfader
    DesWeller wrote:
    If they're beyond repair I bin 'em, but you're right, they could be made use of.

Hmm, beyond frame protection, not much comes to mind though. I know, I want to make a cat catapult along these lines - reckon innertubes stretch enough?

Never tried innertube for 'pults but have used other stuff. Not sure what it was, silicon rubber I'd reckon and it was wayyyy more elastic than an inner tube. Might try this weekend as I have some offcuts of apple tree in the garden. :? Though I wont be firing at squirrels, lol! :wink:
  • Old inner tubes are good for winterizing your bikes.

Cut a length of old inner tube and slip it over the end of your dis-mounted seatpost. Put the seatpost back on the bike and tighten it, then pull the inner tube down over the post clamp and the split in the frame. This helps prevent water and grot getting into the frame and down to the bottom bracket when you're riding in poor conditions.

If you have really stretchy inner tubes, I'd recommend you give the same treatment to your headset races.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    I did think about making mine into condoms as my wife loves the smell of burning rubber.
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    They've just opened the very first Disneyland in China. It stars Mickey Mao...
  • downfader
    Splottboy wrote:
    They've just opened the very first Disneyland in China. It stars Mickey Mao...
    That would be Mickey Cat in English :wink:
  • my other hobby is windsurfing, and you need something to stop sand getting in the joint of the mast to stop it getting stuck. i cut a 6 inch peice of inner tube and roll it over the joint, works a treat, and have made some for other windsurfers who liked the idea, only works on some masts tho. (and mtb tubes not roadie tubes)
    Your'e never alone with schizophrenia.
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    Some riders seem to think that old inner tubes are just what are needed for sprucing up boring old countryside! At least, I assume that's why I find them lying about at the side of the road from time to time...
  • downfader
    ColinJ wrote:
    Some riders seem to think that old inner tubes are just what are needed for sprucing up boring old countryside! At least, I assume that's why I find them lying about at the side of the road from time to time...

Thats a shame. Cyclist-fly tipping :(