The rest and be thankfull -

colintrav
colintrav Posts: 1,074
edited November 2009 in Routes
Anyone ever rode it ... I have walked some part of it many moons ago

For those that may be unware of it A named resting place mainly for car owners at a base of a hill /footpath .. you can walk up and once you get to the stop follow the path ... , from the view you are South east looking towards loch lomond

Comments

• covelove
    covelove Posts: 209
    i wouldn't like to cycle up the road, it's crazy fast!
    i used to drive it a few times a week when i lived that way, as for biking there are a few routes over from the rest to ben dornoch and over to ben riach to the south. there are also a few routes down towards hells glen and of course the cobbler from the arrochar side is fun too!
    does my tail look hard in this?

cove stiffee

orange 222
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    You can do a road and forest circular from the Rest and be thankful. Cycle along Glen Kinglas to Loch Fyne on the path marked military road next to the busy A83. It's not singletrack as you see it on OS map but a secondary tarred road that cars can't get on to. Keep going downhill to the edge of the loch at Arkinglas estate and then turn south west to take the mucky track by the water and various oyster farm operations. When you reach Ardno, head up through a gate and climb on a neat garden path to the A815. From there head back half a mile to meet up with the B839 Hell's Glen road. This is initially a twisting climb but then follows a long, fast descent on tar. At the bottom, go right on to the B828 Lochgoilhead road but within a few hundred yards turn off and into the forest at Pole Farm. A marked cycle path climbs high round the edge of the forest at Gleann Mor - you can eventually look down and see the tiny cars on the road below. Stay on track until the road climbs and climbs to meet you. When it does you're back at the Rest and be thankful. 18 miles all in. Enjoy!
    http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/160507