TT racing. What do you need?

2»

Comments

• John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Who wants to ride with a number inked on to their arm. I thought that triathletes only used sleeveless tops because they are better in the swim and maybe running stages. I see no advantage on the bike. Not many cycling clubs would have sleeveless tops as part of their kit anyway. Personally I don't care either way but rules is rules. If you want them changing then get it put forward at the CTT AGM. No point in moaning and doing nothing.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,385
    Infamous wrote:
    The fact is, triathletes are the only people who own sleeveless kit and denying sleeveless kit is like telling triathletes they're not wanted in the sport (ironically, TTs are a major part of triathlon :roll: they even have the same bikes and stupid hats). And as the TT scene dies, Triathlons grow bigger every year.

Is it dying? The impression I have after a decade out of the sport is that it is flourishing but possibly evolving into more sporting, circuit type courses rather than fast, dangerous drag strips which I feel is the way it should go. TT's should be all about trying to win (or placing above those that are around your standard) rather than hunting around the country for ever faster courses to improve your PB.
  • Pross wrote:
    Infamous wrote:
    The fact is, triathletes are the only people who own sleeveless kit and denying sleeveless kit is like telling triathletes they're not wanted in the sport (ironically, TTs are a major part of triathlon :roll: they even have the same bikes and stupid hats). And as the TT scene dies, Triathlons grow bigger every year.

Is it dying? The impression I have after a decade out of the sport is that it is flourishing but possibly evolving into more sporting, circuit type courses rather than fast, dangerous drag strips which I feel is the way it should go. TT's should be all about trying to win (or placing above those that are around your standard) rather than hunting around the country for ever faster courses to improve your PB.

Umm...

I don't recognise this picture of an evolving flourishing TT scene. The last open event I took part in this year was a very welcoming event, and had a full field (on a dragstrip course), but I couldn't fail to notice how the average age was well above my 40 years. Compared to triathlon where I'm one of the older ones, the future for TTs does not look too rosy, and I take no pleasure in that.

Yes people should respect the traditions of any sport they want to join, but neither in my view should TT pass up opportunities to bring in new participants (eg from triathlon) by clinging on to irrelevant rules such as those on sleeveless jerseys.

Triathletes have sleeveless jerseys because they work better under a wetsuit for swimming, not because we (Slow 1972, your comments are ridiculous) want to show off our shoulders. When its the case that a triathlete has spent £60 on a club tri suit, it's a shame to be told that's not acceptable for a TT when there's no practical reason why it's not entirely suitable.

It seems to me that the CTT can cling on to its traditions and rules if it wants, but risks continuing down a path of decline driven by failure to attract new younger participants. The members of the CTT are of course free to do this, but they might better serve their sport by being more open minded to adapting their rules to be more open to accepting new blood.
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    TT isnt dying in Newbury. Last year numbers in our events were up and included triathletes from our local club with whom we have a mutually beneficial relationship often sharing resources and rides.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • dont forget the one other essential for TT's. A twisted mind willing to bring yourself to the point of collapse/vomiting once (or maybe more times) a week.....but what the hell, you'll be back out the following week trying to take half a second off your PB :D
  • "I don't recognise this picture of an evolving flourishing TT scene. The last open event I took part in this year was a very welcoming event, and had a full field (on a dragstrip course), but I couldn't fail to notice how the average age was well above my 40 years. Compared to triathlon where I'm one of the older ones, the future for TTs does not look too rosy, and I take no pleasure in that. "

Admittedly TTs are not flourishing the way they were 50 years ago - but that was a different world. Certainly in the last 10 years I've noticed that its harder for me being slow) to get into events which were not fully subscribed in the 90s.

One thing I've noticed as a BC Commissaire is that people are road racing into their later years and only turning to TTs when RR gets a bit too hard - so perhaps there will be s steady influx of vets at the lower end to compensate for those falling off at the upper end.

As a triathlete friend has commented - if they can't or won't get a sleeved top then triathletes should organise their own time trials. In fact I see a lot of triathletes wanting to enter CTT races , but I don't see many Tri clubs organising them. The only one that did in my neck of the woods insisted on me wearing a helmet which conforms to some BS standard - so I couldn't race as I didn't want to spend out on one.
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    blackhands wrote:
    "I don't recognise this picture of an evolving flourishing TT scene. The last open event I took part in this year was a very welcoming event, and had a full field (on a dragstrip course), but I couldn't fail to notice how the average age was well above my 40 years. Compared to triathlon where I'm one of the older ones, the future for TTs does not look too rosy, and I take no pleasure in that. "

Admittedly TTs are not flourishing the way they were 50 years ago - but that was a different world. Certainly in the last 10 years I've noticed that its harder for me being slow) to get into events which were not fully subscribed in the 90s.

One thing I've noticed as a BC Commissaire is that people are road racing into their later years and only turning to TTs when RR gets a bit too hard - so perhaps there will be s steady influx of vets at the lower end to compensate for those falling off at the upper end.

As a triathlete friend has commented - if they can't or won't get a sleeved top then triathletes should organise their own time trials. In fact I see a lot of triathletes wanting to enter CTT races , but I don't see many Tri clubs organising them. The only one that did in my neck of the woods insisted on me wearing a helmet which conforms to some BS standard - so I couldn't race as I didn't want to spend out on one.

nic post , spot on IMHO
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Pross wrote:
    Why do some people feel not allowing pro kit is old fashioned and driving people away? How many football / rugby matches are you allowed to turn up at and play in replica kits?
    But rugby and football are team events.
    Ok in the tdf they ride as teams and it is for tv sponsorship so important, but for a road race why not wear any pro kit you want?
    As long as you have a number on your back there should be no issue.
    For pro and semi pro races ok wear team kit, bit for run of the mill races, should be able to wear what you want IMHO
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Don't forget alot of ladies have sleevless cycling tops, as is the fashion these days, and may not have a sleeved cycling top. Should these ladies be turned away just because of the fashion they choose to wear.

I am not bothered with regards to sleeves, most skinsuits are not legal in the respect of the rules, as the sleeves generally do not come to mid upper arm if they are short sleeved. I know both of my skinsuits the sleeves are towards the top of the upper arm, no where near mid.

Arm numbers are a mute point IMO, not that many events have arm numbers, and these can be solved by have elastic bands threaded through them rather than being pinned on. PITA trying to pin an arm number on a tight skinsuit by yourself.
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    But rugby and football are team events

Err, so is cycling. Simple fact is that if you ride RRs under UCI rules, then you can't wear trade kit as they could also have team riders there. Same way that no team can enter the FA cup wearing Man U or Chelsea kit.

If you can't afford a top with sleeves, how the hell do you cycle in the winter? If the sleeve rule turns off certain people, then I'm all for it as they are clearly idiots.
  • Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    eh wrote:
    If you can't afford a top with sleeves, how the hell do you cycle in the winter? If the sleeve rule turns off certain people, then I'm all for it as they are clearly idiots.
    That's a ridiculous example.

It's not people that don't own sleeves, it's people who already spent lots of money on a skinsuit to race in and being turned away because it doesn't have sleeves.
  • Pross
    Infamous wrote:
    eh wrote:
    That's a ridiculous example.

It's not people that don't own sleeves, it's people who already spent lots of money on a skinsuit to race in and being turned away because it doesn't have sleeves.

Why didn't they just check the regs beforehand then and buy a skinsuit that complies? :?

All sports have their regs - if you don't like them you can either ignore the sport or make representations to have them changed at the AGM.
  • Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    Pross wrote:
    Why didn't they just check the regs beforehand then and buy a skinsuit that complies? :?
    Because they bought the sleevless skinsuit for their own sport. If they want to switch to TTs they have to buy another skinsuit.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Infamous wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Because they bought the sleevless skinsuit for their own sport. If they want to switch to TTs they have to buy another skinsuit.

Well why didn't they get a skinsuit with sleeves on to start with?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Pross
    The amount people spend on gear whether in cycling or triathlon the idea that they don't want to spend less than £100 on a second skin suit seems quite strange!
  • oldwelshman
    eh wrote:

Err, so is cycling. Simple fact is that if you ride RRs under UCI rules, then you can't wear trade kit as they could also have team riders there. Same way that no team can enter the FA cup wearing Man U or Chelsea kit.

really? What about private members not in a club then? You do not get that in football or rugby, which is my point.
    i am not on about sleevelss suits, I am on about wearing porper kit that may be any colour or trade kit and not have to wear black!
    I am not on about pro events where teams ride and wear their trade kits as no private riders can ride these as far as I know :D I mean your average run of the mill amateur events.
    Oh and please don't tell me there are teams riding these, you may have riders from same club riding in a race but they certainly do not ride as a team, even though they may think they are!!
  • sub55
    eh wrote:

really? What about private members not in a club then? You do not get that in football or rugby, which is my point.
    i am not on about sleevelss suits, I am on about wearing porper kit that may be any colour or trade kit and not have to wear black!
    I am not on about pro events where teams ride and wear their trade kits as no private riders can ride these as far as I know :D I mean your average run of the mill amateur events.
    Oh and please don't tell me there are teams riding these, you may have riders from same club riding in a race but they certainly do not ride as a team, even though they may think they are!!

please dont confuse BC events with CTT events.
    The thread was started referring to CTT events and therefore your post has afew errors.
    You cant be a private member, you dont have to wear black ,just a plain or multi coloured if you like clothing that covers you from mid thigh to mid arm ,with no gaps in the middle and does`nt carry any adertising.
    To me ,the current rules are right , dont see why we should trade down to the lowest common denominator . although i cannot believe there is any body out there ,that does not a sleeved top. However, if there is ,all that is required is the wearing of a thin t-shirt, under their tri suit.
    whilst i`m typing , there is no such thing as a pro event in either discipline.
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • oldwelshman
    Ah ok I was referring to bcf races above, but my view is still the same for TT.
    If some one has some kit and it happens to be a pro team kit so what, or any other kit for that matter,who gives a sxxt what colour it is, whether your arms are covered or not,or advertising it has when your riding along on a dual carriageway?
    As long as you have a number on.
  • hammerite wrote:

I think I had to turn about 5 people away on the line at one of our evening league TTs this year because of sleeveless tops.

That's odd - given that about 50% of cycle jerseys seem to be sleveless or vests

I'm sure theres a good reason
  • sub55
    If some one has some kit and it happens to be a pro team kit so what, or any other kit for that matter,who gives a sxxt what colour it is, whether your arms are covered or not,or advertising it has when your riding along on a dual carriageway?

who gives a sxxt
    well it would appear ,the vast majority of the people who are passionate enough ,about the sport to take the time to put their views forward , at a club level ,then onto district level and ultimately national level.
    Judging by your user name , i`m assuming you are resident in the princepality. as i am.
    now, i`m sure if you were to give our district sec a call , he`d be more than happy to put you on the committee . where we could discuss this face to face. but in your absence , this years mandating meeting , there was a overwhelming majority against the proposals to change the rules.
    in fact , nobody voted in favour of.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    LittleB0b wrote:
    That's odd - given that about 50% of cycle jerseys seem to be sleveless or vests

Not in my experience.

Most jerseys seem to be short sleeve or long sleeve. with the split long/short/sleeveless being something like 47.5%/47.5%/5%

In the UK, even in the Summer I rarely ride without armwarmers, so Sleeveless is hardly a necessity anyway.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Slow1972
    Slow1972 Posts: 362
    +1

I can count on one hand (well a couple of fingers) the amount of times I saw someone in a sleeveless cycling jersey when I was out riding my bike this year, and that includes club runs with quite a few members who are also / ex members of the local tri-club who never seem to find the urge to wear a sleeveless jersey.

Incidentally I don't ever recall one of those current/ex tri club members moaning about not being able to wear a sleeveless jersey when riding a CTT or BC event, they just get on with enjoying riding their bike and competing

• Not in my experience.

Most jerseys seem to be short sleeve or long sleeve. with the split long/short/sleeveless being something like 47.5%/47.5%/5%

A quick check on a well known online retailer

13 short sleeve .v. 14 sleeveless (22 long sleeve although not all 'jerseys')

;)

(sorry for off topic posting)
  • oldwelshman
    sub55 wrote:

who gives a sxxt
    well it would appear ,the vast majority of the people who are passionate enough ,about the sport to take the time to put their views forward , at a club level ,then onto district level and ultimately national level.
    Judging by your user name , i`m assuming you are resident in the princepality. as i am.
    now, i`m sure if you were to give our district sec a call , he`d be more than happy to put you on the committee . where we could discuss this face to face. but in your absence , this years mandating meeting , there was a overwhelming majority against the proposals to change the rules.
    in fact , nobody voted in favour of.

Actually no I am not resident in the principality unfortunetaley :D
    Change what rules? Just the rule about whether you can wear branded clothing?
    To be honest I do not participate in TT and would have no interest in sitting on the comittee for sport I do not participate in.
    My point is more to do with all cycling being able to wear branded jerseys, whether for a race or TT.
    Just my view sorry, we all are allowed opinions.
    ANyway some of the club kits look gross :lol: