normal commute times (poll)

roger_merriman
roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
edited November 2009 in Commuting chat
My commute is very short 2 miles and under 15mins

i've tended to have very short commutes but I know some have really quite long ones.

I'm also assuming it's going to be fairly self selecting. and is rather a friday thread on thursday....

Comments

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    edited November 2009
    Is this really necessary? 30-44 is a pretty wide range espeically as you'll get a massive amount in there

imo

5 days a week 40ish each way.. 7 hours rounding off nicely
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    Is this really necessary? 30-44 is a pretty wide range espeically as you'll get a massive amount in there

imo

true I started from my commute 15mins and moved from there. not to worry just a bit more segmented.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Hi,
    I've only included the cycling bit- I have another 50 minutes or so on the train and a five minute walk as well.
    Also assumed this is each way, rather than the combined total.

Weekly average might be interesting- I only do 15-20 minutes each way but I do it five days a week, every week (so about three hours a week total).

Cheers,
    W.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Mine used to be about 8 minutes (2 miles or so), but now I take around 23 minutes to do 5 miles (and around 19 minutes on the way home).
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • In is 7.5 and less than 30 and home is 8.5 and nudges over 30 :(

can we have sections of 29-31, 31-33, 33-35 please... no really don't, that is just a joke. 8)
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Depends which bike.

F-you naysayers all. I have more confidence on the Kharma and therefore compelled to go faster/all out fo longer compared to the other bike.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Harry B
    Harry B Posts: 1,239
    Mine is somewhere between 1 hr 25 min and 1 hr 14 min so I need another voting option please :lol:
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    I am 1h15+ but it is now winter-ish
    In the summer the time is more likely to be 1h+ or even quite often just under the hour
    Be interesting to see how the poll turns out
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    edited November 2009
    Generally average 1hr 45 to do the 25 miles from Surrey to Wapping. Tends to be quicker in the morning than in the evening by about 15 minutes. So, what do I win?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    1hr to 1hr 15, or 2 hours with p*nctures! :evil:
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    1.5h in the morning, 20mins in the evening.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    I have done my commute in 1 hour - but at the moment tending towards 1 hour 20/25. It's the traffic that slows me down, that and the wind.

Journey home can be done in 1 hour 15 but I tend to pootle bits of it - especially the Thameside stretches - and sometimes I take detours so it varies.
  • solsurf
    solsurf Posts: 489
    One way I can do in 20 min the other in 45 min, there are some big hills around here :)
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Asprilla wrote:
    Generally average 1hr 45 to do the 25 miles from Surrey to Wapping. Tends to be quicker in the morning than in the evening by about 15 minutes. So, what do I win?

an uphill commute on the way home
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Mine tends to be between 10 and 20 minutes depending on traffic. Which one should I click

(there's always one :P )
  • Best time 1hr 27, worst 2.05. Average about 1hr45; 28 miles and 2100 ft of climbing each way . It's all down to wind speed - its a very exposed route (the 1.27 was straight after a holiday, mid summer on the race bike, I've never come close since!)
  • plumpy
    plumpy Posts: 124
    35 minutes in the morning. I go home via a range of different routes, of differing lengths and hillinesses*, taking between 1 to 2 hours, depending on the weather, my mood, what's on telly, and what's for tea.

*may not be an English word but you all know what I mean
  • Most days it's a 50 -1 hrs cycle to work , getting quicker even in the winter.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Hey look, that's almost a gaussian distribution.

Gotta luv dem statistics